Question: how to handle the knife blade

armcarve

Hello Cafe members,
I need to engrave the bolsters of a fixed blade knife. The blade is 5 1/2 " long or so. I am using Thermo lock to hold the handle. The blade will be sticking out a few inches from the end of my block. My question is this, How should I protect both the blade & myself from the blade ( I'd like to live to see my next engraving project). My first thought is to wrap it with something. I am a jewelry engraver, so I've never really come across this situation before. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Amy

Andrew Biggs

Yes to what Marty just said.

Plus I put a peice of card top and botton that overhangs the tip of the knife slightly. This protects you from the point which can cause a bit of greif. Read: stab yourself!!!!! (and yes, I've done it :))

Cheers
Andrew

eastslope

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Just put a bead of thermolock down the blade creating a sort of sheath just on the edge. Or cardboard and duct tape

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Just like the others... Tape, cardboard, Thermoloc and more tape..
No high tech here but it works. Like Andrew says, make sure the point is really well protected. I'm not going to admit why I stress that either....

Dulltool

Elite Cafe Member
Armcarve,
I use the plastic slide on book report binding thingies.... I don't have or know the proper name for them but we've all seen and used them. The are about 12" long and 1/2" wide.
I cut them to length slip it over the cutting edge of the blade and use a short piece of masking tape to keep it from popping off. I engrave a lot of knives and this works best for me as they can be reused over and over.

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Amy...ditto to all of the above when it comes to safety.
Years ago,I had a knife that cut me 4 ways at one time: Long, Deep,Wide and Continuously.

Post some pictures of the "before,during and after".
We'd all love to see it.

armcarve

Guys,
Thanks for the quick replies to my question. I now have a better idea of how I will approach the job.
Dennis, cool idea about the book report slides. I never would thought of that & I happen to have a bunch of those slides in my desk drawer.
Brian, I'll see if I can post some pictures of the job.

Thanks again, Amy

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You can also make a universal leather sheath that slips over the cutting edge and point and is open on the nonedge side sort of like a book. Thick holster leather works good and taping it on will hold it in place.

Without protection, that point will get you, and swinging the vise will cut you from one end to the other, and it is hard to relax under those circumstances and interferes with your focus.

Ron S

ddushane

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I just wrap the blade with two or three layers of masking tape, clean with WD40 when done.

Dwayne

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I use the blue "painter's tape" - that way there's no residue to clean off later.

But I kind of like that book slide idea....

Sponsors