Question: How to rivet small concho?

rossm10

Hello All,
I have a 1 3/4" flat concho that the customer wants attached to a fence plier case that is made out of 9-10 oz. leather...The smallest female Chicago screw back I have will protrude through the leather thereby not allowing it to tighten fully...I could file it down some which would work I guess but is there any other way to do this??
Thanks, Ross

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
IF you have access to a jeweler's saw and a 4/0 blade ,saw off both the screw and female nut to length.
On the screw get in the groove and follow it diagonally. Then take a Jeweler's file and touch up the threads if necessary.
Cut straight across on the Chicago nut, check for fit and then Locktite the screw AFTER soldering the nut to the concho.

Last edited:

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Depends on what tools you have available... and your experience level?

If you have unlimited options you could simply change the back and solder on another - but this may not be one of yours?

Cutting the tube and screw down is fairly simple, if there is a need for the concho to be removable in the future...

Lastly, if the tube is soldered directly to the concho as is should be - and protrudes far enough - you can turn it into a rivet.

The easiest method would be to split the tube with a fine bladed jewelers saw. Not very far, just enough so that it will "mushroom".

Probably split it into quarters or even 6 or 8 equal sections.

Again, depending on the tools you have access to - find a little steel ball bearing a little bigger than the diameter of the tube and force it into the tube.

The splits will spread. You may need to hammer them flush with the leather after. This will give you a very secure, but unremovable rivet.

Might help to go to google images and look up "split tubular rivet" before you attempt it?

Brian

Last edited:

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
In using the rivet method you'll have to cut the stitches, rivet, then restitch unless you are setting it on the flap.

Orientating the design will be a trick too !

At first when making my spur straps with the Texas Star concho, inevitably I would get the star positioned just right, flip it, anchor it and turn it back over to find the Gremlins had turned the concho just a hair to throw the star off kilter.

Something else to take into consideration.
If your buddy has to ride through brush/trees the concho can be ripped from the holster using a rivet.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors