Help, please: Identifying engraver

LBachelder

Hi
I am trying to identify the engraver of a Harrington & Richardson A grade shotgun. The work was done circa 1882-1885. The style does not appear to be that of Ulrich or Helfricht. The cross ribbon borders, crosshatch and dots tend to make me believe that this work could be that of Nimschke.? I know that he engraved some H&R handguns during that period. I lack the expertise to identify the work, hopefully someone will recognize it. Thanks, LBachelder

Attachments

• PICT7177 (Small).JPG
    PICT7177 (Small).JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 113
  • PICT6777 (Small).JPG
    PICT6777 (Small).JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 94
  • PICT6795 (Small).JPG
    PICT6795 (Small).JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 104
  • PICT6801 (Small).JPG
    PICT6801 (Small).JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 94
  • PICT7179 (Small).JPG
    PICT7179 (Small).JPG
    50 KB · Views: 112
  • PICT7187 (Small).JPG
    PICT7187 (Small).JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 90
  • PICT7181 (Small).JPG
    PICT7181 (Small).JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 81
  • PICT7210 (Small).JPG
    PICT7210 (Small).JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 92

ddushane

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I don't know who did it but they did a nice job! Thanks for sharing, Hope you find out what you're wanting to know,

Dwayne

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
As I indicated when we spoke at the Louisville gun show, this is the work of a highly competent, professional gun engraver. The quality and style of the English scroll are above that of the engravers working at the other New England arms plants of the time with the possible exception of Joseph Loy and LDN. Gustave Young was a top engraver who turned out masterpieces for Colt but I have never seen work attributed to him in this very British style. Of course he was a German as was LDN but LDN did do work in the British style when called for.

Your gun has all the earmarks of a gun engraved by the London trade but it seems unlikely that H&R would have sent it to England just for the engraving. If I recall, you said that it does not have London or Birmingham proof marks indicating that H&R did not have it made in England under contract.

With the pictures you posted, I will see if I can match it up with the correct engraver. There are others on this forum who are also good at identification so between us all there may a chance.

CRB

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
LBachelder...I believe Roger was right about Joseph Loy..he was an English engaver who worked here in the U.S. What caught my attention were the dogs and the English scrolls. He did sign his work with either an L. or a J. or both..did you find anything like that?

Latest posts

Sponsors