image transfer

tdelewis

Elite Cafe Member
The other day I put a post about image transfer. I mentioned three ways. There is a forth and I thought I would write a post about it. I have never tried it only read about it. The method involves printing your image on a laser printer and then gluing it face down on the metal. The glue is super glue I think. After it is completely dry you lightly dampen the paper and gradually and carefully rub the damp paper away leaving the image on the metal. Has anyone used this idea? This method is use by those who transfer an image to wood. The other methods will not work on wood with any satisfaction. If you have used this we would like to hear from.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
you don't have to use superglue. damar varnish works fine, with a very light application of acetone to fuse the toner to the varnish. then rub away the paper with a few drops of water. this technique has been around for at least 6-7 yrs.

the superglue method probably works better, but i have used the damar varnish method successfully on wood, too.

rweigel

Elite Cafe Member
France (north of Alsace, close to Germany)
Hi, I use a similiar method. I got some „potch“ from an art store which is used to glue mirror-printed pictures with the printed side to solid material. Once dry, it is blown at with a hair dryer or hot air gun for some minutes. Then one could wet the paper and rub it away carefully.

It works well on sanded metal. On highly polished silver it flakes sometimes off. The printer paper has sometimes clumps of fibers in it that do not go off the metal easily and can obscure fine detail. Tough, with silver, a little saliva renders the residual fibres transparent and lubricates the graver…

Cheers, Ralf

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
you don't have to use superglue. damar varnish works fine, with a very light application of acetone to fuse the toner to the varnish. then rub away the paper with a few drops of water. this technique has been around for at least 6-7 yrs.

the superglue method probably works better, but i have used the damar varnish method successfully on wood, too.
Mitch do you let the damar varnish dry. Also apparently Brother laser printers don't work with the acetone method?

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
As Mitch mentioned, this technique has been around for a long time. Much longer than 6-7 years
the main principle is somehow gluing the inked pattern onto the metal either with glue or varnish once the ”glue” is dry, the paper is wet and rubbed/dissolved away leaving the ink attached to the metal it’s rather old school basic but it does work very well in a pinch for scroll layouts i found it lacked what i needed for fine detailed images. But that's just me

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mitch do you let the damar varnish dry. Also apparently Brother laser printers don't work with the acetone method?
Nope. I have the transfer ready to go as soon as the varnish is smeared on. Keep in mind, you want a very light coat which will dry to tacky in a just a moment, but that helps hold the transfer in place. You didn't ask, but I use the varnish straight out of the bottle, not thinned with anything.

My printer is a Canon all-in-one (230 series?). I don't know anything about Brothers.

Latest posts

Sponsors