Inexpensive diamond laps

dogcatcher

Elite Cafe Member
These are the laps I ordered. http://richontools.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_9

I ordered the 6" laps in 240, 400, 600, 1000, and 1200 grits. Are they the best? I have no clue, but they fit my price range and so far they have taken care of me. For me engraving is a hobby, not my profession, I find that I can make do with what I can afford and my homemade rigs and jigs. I only have to please myself, not customers or critics.

SalihKara

Elite Cafe Member
::::Pledge Member::::
If I don't understand wrong, quality is not bad.
In this case, why does GRS sell these laps 10 times expensive. There must be some differences and I really wonder what they are.

Doest it worth to buy GRS laps by paying more?

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i have a friend that uses just this very machine. she uses it for grinding glass pieces. i would not want it due to the fact that part of the lap is covered over. i would not want one for doing graver sharpening for that reason.
several reasons for price difference between grs and chinese products.
grs does their own engineering and development. done at american wages. made in american factories. many of the chinese products are reverse-engineered at very low cost. no research & developmental expenses. also the wages in china are far below what the us wages happen to be. many of the so called "knockoffs" made in china do not have the quality of the american-made machines. quality control in many instances, just does not seem to be important to the chinese manufacturers. i have a gravermeister by grs. over 30 years in use--------still works good. was that a good purchase ? you be the judge.

as for the lap you specified, they do appear well made. my friend likes hers. only you can decide what's best suited for your situation. when it comes to making expensive purchases, don't get in a rush. don't purchase anything based on what just one person tells you. get the wisdom of many to help you in making such a decision.

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
In this case, why does GRS sell these laps 10 times expensive.
Doest it worth to buy GRS laps by paying more?
In this case, the answer is no. They do the job just as well. Just be sure you get the laps AND the platens that they stick to. Thereafter, you need only purchase the laps and glue them to the platen.

I agree with what Brian said about them and they work fine.

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I bought a few of these before and they are not quite the same quality as GRS. Afterwords I went and ordered some from GRS. There is a difference. Same goes for the Ceramics.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Have not seen the pictures, but the ones ive bought are only one sided, you can then load those to work like a ceramic lap, use the search button there is a whole conversation on it, get creative with the searches you'll never know what wonders you might find

GunEngraver.com Guns, Knives & More

Darrell

looking at the ones from the links are 1mm thick, it must be backed up with a thicker disc. I want to use my drill press and use an arbor to hold the discs, the one I did buy a few weeks ago was $85 and is 3/8' thick, works very well on drill press with arbor. does anyone know how thick the discs are from GRS/ENSET I know the ctr hole is 1/2" but how deep is the hole?

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
my 0ld grs 600 is way more agressive than my courser off brand lap.. not sure if that is a common experience

Latest posts

Sponsors