info for hammer & chisel guys/ gals

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
kent: mine was made from a 1-1/4" stainless steel propeller shaft, and turned on a single large ball bearing on the floor. Actually, the vise was McKenzie's design and I built mine not long after I started at New Orleans Arms.

The kickwheel was 12" diameter.

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here are some photos of the disc stands that I use and have made and sold at various times. This is the advanced version with the adjustable angle as you can see with the different mounting holes. The shaft was 7/8"s 1" on some, 1 1/4" on others, just depended on what shaft material I could get my hands on at the time and the pillow bearing bought accordingly. Some people like a lot of drag on their wheels (me for one) and some want them totally free wheeling, I used shoe leather and screw to adjust the drag.

In these photos the foot disc is not present, because these are designed to be used with with air tools, but I used the same thing with hammer and chisel for many years, mostly engraving barefooted to give me best control turning the vise.

Attachments

• DSC00001.JPG
    DSC00001.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 147
  • DSC00002.JPG
    DSC00002.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 115
  • DSC00003.JPG
    DSC00003.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Scott,
Come by my shop with its cement floor in February and try going barefoot!
:)
You warm weather people have it made. I have learned to control a GraverMach foot pedal real well in snowmobile boots!

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
warm weather ? I have walked out to the car with people many a time leaving barefoot tracks in the snow. And I know the people/customers would drive off thinking that poor barefoot hillbilly.

Ken Hurst

Elite Cafe Member
Rex, Scott isn't the only one going bare foot, thats how I normally work but, then again it's lots warmer here most of the time. The gulf stream isn't to far off shore. By the way, what are those snowmobile thingies you were refering to ? We haven't seen any snow for about 3-4 years. Was about 78 degrees today I think. Ken

Billzach

Elite Cafe Member
Scott, a lot of people refer to me as the hillbilly coin carver..Most of the time i engrave barefooted in warm weather..odd but after many years of engraving barefooted i have never got a piece of metal in my feet, but get pieces in my fingers often...

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
oh I have got steel chunks in my feet, lots of times. and my fingers .....not really chunks, but microspecks. I wear I contact lenses, and when I was engraving fulltime, I could wear out a a set of lenses in about 6 months. This just from normal handling when cleaning and installing them, I would get them so scratched up from the tiny mirco particles imbedded in fingers that after a few months I could see the fine edge of vision going away.

Andrew Biggs

It's funny that you guys should mention bare feet. I prefer to engrave with my slippers on. I don't like wearing my shoes as I can't "feel" the foot control properley.

Cheers
Andrew

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Now that I'm in Colorado.......I prefer Camo Slip-ons from Wallyworld for $9.95................such a deal.
Toe nails otherwise make such a disturbing scratching/scraping sound it's hard to concentrate

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Kent.
Mine is a full framed steel bench with a butcher block maple top.
It has bearings at the top and bottom much like the ones that Scott pictured.
The shaft is 1 inch round steel and can be adjusted for angle.
I'm no good at posting pictures, sorry.
Best regards. John B.

KSnyder

Elite Cafe Member
All, thanks for the many tips on the turntable vise, I'm in the process of gathering the bearings etc, for the job.
Merry Christmas,
Kent

Latest posts

Sponsors