Info on an Engraver

galvanic1882

Hi, I'm new to the forum, just joined today. I have always admired the work of engravers through the years and have a Randall knife that was engraved by Simon Lyton of England.

I bought an engraved item a few weeks ago but have not been able to find out anything about the engraver and was hoping to get some help here? It's a round steel cylinder 3 1/4" tall and 7/8" in diameter.

His name is Alan Hykes, I believe he is or was from Aspen Colorado. I have read that he worked for or was an apprentice for the Bohlin Co but I have not been able to confirm that.

I have attached pictures of the piece and any help to learn about him is appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_1944.jpg
    IMG_1944.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_1942.jpg
    IMG_1942.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_1943.jpg
    IMG_1943.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 97

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Simon come's over from England to Scott's engrave-in that's were I meet him believe he worked for Purdey in London thank's for posting the beautiful engraved picture's. J.J.

galvanic1882

Hi, thanks for the response about Simon. I mentioned him only to say I love items that are engraved and that his work is very good.

I was really asking more about the item I bought that was marked A Hykes. I wish I could find out more about him and when and where he worked.

Mike

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mike,

Since nobody has replied to your question with an affirmative answer, I decided to comment since I am usually the "go-to" person here to answer "who dunit" questions.

I have never heard of Alan Hykes. Perhaps that is because he didn't primarily engrave guns or custom made knives. Engravers who primarily work outside of those two areas rarely receive any recognition for their work. Rather, if they work for a company like Bolin, they are considered just another artisan. It seems, however that you do know something about Hykes. Perhaps someone else here may know a little more about him.

In the mean time I have copied your picture of his name and initials for my archive of engravers signatures for future reference because I get continuous questions asking whose name goes with initials on a gun.

galvanic1882

Thanks Roger i really appreciate it. I believe he has done Rodeo belt buckles. I tried some Rodeo sites and people here in AZ, nothing so far. It's still a very cool piece.

Thanks again Mike

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
just guesswork: i'm tinkin this piece was intended to go on top of a walking stick/cane. the name probably belongs to the intended stick owner. maybe ?

galvanic1882

Thanks but he is the engraver of the piece. I found his name on some belt buckles online and an old article saying he was from Aspen Colorado but nothing else. It's a solid piece of heavy steel. Doubt very much it's the top of a stick or cane.

Thanks though.

Latest posts

Sponsors