inlays

papart1

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Are they first in the process or last? I've seen it/them both ways. Does it make a difference?

SamW

Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
As John said. For raised inlay I usually cut the cavity and sculpt the design within the cavity which helps keep from getting bits of steel showing through the gold when inlayed and sculpted. I then do all the engraving around the area except any stipple detail, then inlay and do all shaping and shading. Flush work that I do is mostly border lines and detail and I inlay anywhere along the way but leave the gold slightly proud of the surface so any damage I might incur can be polished out at the last step before working the gold down flush. I have had occasion when the flush inlay was first and taken down level with the surface, then slightly damaged while doing the other engraving and found I had to pull the gold and re-inlay because I could not polish out the mar.

papart1

Sam........these tips you are giving are really important. Especially the "proud" amount to allow furtherence of surrounding work thereby leaving a bumper on the gold. I appreciate that, although I have not ventured into gold, I reflect back to using copper as a inlay medium and remember, I messed it (copper) up working around the area. Thanks Sam

Latest posts

Sponsors