Inscription on Patek Philippe

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
As much as I love finely cut scrollwork, I really enjoy seeing a well cut inscription. This one is on a Patek Philippe minute repeater, split second chronograph made in 1905 and presented to Dr. Rupert Blue in 1908.

Rupert Blue served with the Marine Hospital Service Regular Corps, which later became the Public Health Service. He receive honors for his work to eradicate the bubonic plague in San Francisco in 1905 and in the eradication of yellow fever in New Orleans in 1907. He served as Surgeon General under Presidents Howard Taft and Woodrow Wilson from 1912 to 1920. He also served as President of the American Medical Association from 1916 to 1917. Under Blue's leadership researchers turned to the new science of bacteriology to effective use against diseases linked to poverty in both rural and urban areas.

The watch is at Heritage Auctions with a current bid of $31,000.
https://jewelry.ha.com/itm/timepiec...5506-54052.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Attachments

• Rupert Blue on Patek.jpg
    Rupert Blue on Patek.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 184

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
a very beautiful piece to behold. surely a beautiful way to thanks to such a person. tyvm for showing this

AO84

Could anyone please provide a link or source to where one can find more examples of amazing inscription work such as this? I'm having trouble finding much on the net and here and was hoping someone might know of some resources. Thanks!

Latest posts

Sponsors