Is there a point?

Cody

Elite Cafe Member
I have been useing an Ngraver for quite a few years and recently purchased a gravermach. Is there any point in me keeping the Ngraver??. I 'm considering selling it but don't want to wake up one day and go "DOH!, I sure could use that thing". At this point, the only advantage that i can see to the Ngraver is portability. I can easily take it out to the garage to engrave inlays and patchboxes that cannot be removed from the rifle. I THINK I can rig up a way to hold a rifle in my engraving shop for such work. Thoughts?

Cody

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Cody...there are 2 reasons you should keep the Ngraver:
1..You may need a backup someday if something happens.
2..You could buy some wood chisels for the Ngraver hand piece, and use it for
your stock carving.
Keep up the good work.

Yours truly,
JJ Roberts
School of Artistic Engraving
Manassas, VA

Smallpatch

Cody,

You know that if you begin woodcarving with an Ngraver.... you'll be drummed out of the ALR right??? I'm tellin, I'm tellin,

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
One more good reason. Separation of disciplines. I have a bench for
engraving only. I have a bench for setting and soldering. It was a pain to
have to move a setting job over to the engraving bench. I had a second
Gravermax that had come from a shop I closed in the States.
So on the setting bench it went. I want a Gravermac and I'm building a
retail shop in London. One gravemax goes to London and the gravermac
replaces the unit on the engraving bench.
I'm extremely reluctant to let go of a tool that works well.

Last edited:

Cody

Elite Cafe Member
LRB, there are two advantages with an Ngraver over the pneumatic gizmos. One is price. The other is that you can cut in individual taps if you choose and I'm told you can mimick hammer/chisel cuts with it if this matters to you. It doesn't matter to me. I've used it a fair bit and I like it. How good is it compared to the gravermach? I don't realy know. I haven't picked it up since recieving the mach as I'm trying to get used to the mach. Has my engraving improved since switching to the mach?. Perhaps. However, that may have more to do with my switch from the square to the 120deg graver the the switch from the N to the mach.

JJ, I never considered the "back up" issue. Being a hobbyist, if my equipment goes down it's no big deal time wise. I have no deadlines and downtime doesn't cost me money. Regarding carving, really enjoy hand carving (that's carving BY hand as opposed to carving MY hand. I tend to do both:( ) and really can't see useing the N for that. Besides, Smallpatch makes a good point:D . Great thoughts though. I hadn't considered either.

Jim, I doubt that I will ever do anything other than my guns and practice plates but things DO change. Perhaps I should be less "near sighted". I am considering keeping it for use in my gunshop (in the garage), just not sure yet. Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

Cody

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Hi Cody.
The Ngaver has the flex shaft power that is very handy for running a rotary handpiece or an impact carving head.
Unless you have another flex shaft machine, I would think twice before you get rid of it.
As far as engraving goes, I have seen some very fine work done with this machine.
Jerry Whitmore used one exclusively and did some outstanding, finely shaded work with it.
But that's another story and I don't want to start any tool wars.
All the tools work, and work well for different people.
Give it some more thought before you sell it Cody.
Best wishes, John.

Smallpatch

Cody,

If all else fails, you could just send it to me. I'd be more than willing to give it a good home. Most likely it would improve my engraving as well. Just think you'd be responsible for make a "REALLY crappy" engraver into a "not so crappy" engraver. AND I'd have a new toy!!!

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Cody,
I too started with a Ngraver many years ago and then bought a Gravermax in about 1982. Because I was trying to make a living, I kept the Ngraver for a back up for many years. I never did have to use it and around 1995, someone wanted it more than me so it left but I kept the flexible shaft motor part. I always worried after selling it that I may need it. Since then, I now have a GraverMach and have kept my Max in case I decide to set up another workstation.
Long story short, if you can afford it, keep what you have as I've learned if you sell something, you spend the money and then you don't have the equipment or the cash.... If you decide to sell it, go buy some new engraving tools with the money so you have something to show for it. Good tools don't end up costing you much. I remember my GraverMax was around $600 with 2 hand pieces in 1982. I used it for more than 20 years and it still works finr and could get that or more for it if I sold it. I figured that the $30.00 a year it cost me to own it was reason enough to keep it.

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I started with the NgraveR back in the mid 1980's and still have it. The flex shaft also accepts the small drill and I use it for different small jobs, such as sanding, buffing and some polishing. I agree 100% with Rex, don't let go of any tools you get, no matter the temptation and some sort of "reasoning" why it should be kept. But then, I'm a tool junkie and just love seeing where I started.

Bill

Latest posts

Sponsors