Question: is this created using a liner?

diane b

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I love the texture created on these earrings by Marco Bicego. Was this texture created using a very fine liner? At one point, there was a video that showed the engravers in the workshop working on the jewelry pieces, but it looked to me like the gravers they were using were bolino gravers, which doesn't make sense to me. However, I'm not that familiar with bolino gravers as I've never used them, just seen pictures of them. The lines are so parallel, I was thinking that to get that effect, one would need to use a liner. thanks for your help.
Diane b.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
maybe/probably, but we'd need a sharp close-up photo to tell for sure.

maplesm

Elite Cafe Member
I have made silk like patterns using a pattern plate in a rolling mill. This gives a very fine texture
like these pieces. A closer photo would help

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Very hard to tell from the pictures you posted.......at least on my screen.
But it looks more like a finish created using a rotary brush.
Maybe someone with more jewelry experience than me will chime in.

Last edited:

Jahn Baker

Elite Cafe Member
That looks to me to have been cut with a Florentine Cylinder Burr. Check with
www.ottofrei.com, I know they carry them in a couple different sizes and "cuts". Much faster, and easier to master than doing Florenitne finish with liner gravers. Good luck!

diane b

gentleman,
thank you so much for your responses. I wish I could get a better close up picture. I just had to do a copy/paste from images on the computer. When I tried to enlarge the pictures, they were out of focus and didn't give any better definition. I've never heard of a Florentine Cylinder Burr and will check it out. I'm going to play with the rotary brush, pattern plate and fine liner. I'll let you know how it goes. Thank you again for your time. Diane B

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I would say this is a brush. Not the standard. There are ones where all the bristles seem like they are somewhat hinged. That’s the one.

diane b

Jahn, I looked up the Florentine Cylinder Burr - I see what you mean: it's kinda, sorta, but not really almost like a rotary liner. I can see how that would produce the texture in the metal. Chujybear, I don't know what kind of brush you are referring with hinged bristles. Can you post a picture of what you are describing. I found a better close up picture of the same texture on a ring. Does this help? I've looked at some of Marco Bicego pieces with a loop and there is some depth in these channels. When you GENTLY run your fingernail over the surface of the piece (the sales person REALLY loves it when you do that), you can subtly feel the click-click-click in the texture. Thank you everyone for taking the time to give me feedback. I really appreciate it. Diane B

suf

Hi Diane,

This is Florentine engraving, its done with liners though I think maybe originally it was done with a single point. It seems to be most popular in fine italian jewellery. I am also smitten with this technique and have researched it a bit. I feel like it could be used beautifully in more modern looking jewellery. Try image googling 'Florentine Style Engraving' and you'll get some pretty neat results. Sometimes they use parallel lines and sometimes crosshatched, it really looks like silk. I've seen classes/workshops taught in the US, but nowhere near me.

Hope this helps!
Su

diane b

Dear Su,
Wow! thank you so much. I just did an internet search for Florentine Style Engraving. This is quite a diverse style of engraving with the above texture one the styles. I really appreciate your information. Thank you for taking the time to respond to my question. Diane B

diane b

Dear Su,
Thank you for the link. I just watched the video - yep, that's the finish. Very cool!

Latest posts

Sponsors