Joining the dot brigade.

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
Just been given some small square mild steel plates, so ditched the tieclips for a while as i learn to scroll.
First dotted line scroll came out alot better than a drawn effort (even if it`s not perfect).

Does this look worth trying to cut?
Will be doing a few thousand more and no i won`t post all of em :big grin:

Other question would be if this comes out ok, do i try adding a scroll at at time to it or keep them all seperate?

Appreciate any help very much.

Andrew Biggs

Hi Chris

This is what I suggest you do.

Draw the scrolls on paper in a fairly large size. Forget about doing them small for the moment. The size thing will take care of itself over time and they will become smaller as you get better. Drawing them small can bring on it's own set of problems.

Make them about 1/4 of a page. Give yourself something to work with.

Turn it upside down, sideways etc...........Keep refining the scroll backbone till you are happy with it.

Then...start filling with leaves.

Cheers
Andrew

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
ditto what andrew said. also, if i were trying to learn cutting scroll, i think i'd have a much easier go of it if i had just drawn a solid line, rather than a series of dots. the dot way may give you a spine with maybe 50 or so little flats ! double plus ungood !

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I find the (Scott Pilkington) dot method of drawing scroll backbones a very good way to get a nice symetrical spiral however I had been sketching spirals for many years before I learned the dot method.

In any case I agree with Andrew about drawing larger and hold off cutting spirals until you can draw a perfect one. If your spiral is not drawn perfectly symetrical you (as a beginner) will not make it better when you cut it. There is no piont in cutting an imperfect spiral. I would keep working with the dot method but before you cut connect the dots.

Good luck,

Roger

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
I`m practicing with pencil & slowly joing up the dots.
What looks good looks not so great the next day with fresh eyes :rolleyes:

I can see errors in the pic i posted already, though i first thought it to be not too bad.

Guess i have to get as good as i can, i still expect some error since i`m not a machine :big grin: .

Just a single scroll for me now, once i can draw and cut an acceptable one with regular result i will worry about adding a second.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
...Just a single scroll for me now, once i can draw and cut an acceptable one with regular result i will worry about adding a second.

I think that your approach is the way to go. So many beginners create complex scrollwork designs with so many flaws it is difficult to critique. Work on your spirals then on the inside work of one scroll. Then link 2 scrolls and do some outside work. After you've got that down begin filling predetermined shapes (like a knife bolster or sideplate) with scrollwork/

Best wishes,

Roger

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I like the dot method because it's easier for me to see where the line should go then to actually get it to go there.

It's also easier to change where a dot is (or six are) then it is to redo a solid line.

But once I have the dots down I like to put the solid line in. Helps me see just what I've really got.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
yikes ! i never did the dot way. i tried it today. first large, then a bit smaller. what a disaster. i can draw them nicely, but the dot way drives me looney.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
yikes ! i never did the dot way. i tried it today. first large, then a bit smaller. what a disaster. i can draw them nicely, but the dot way drives me looney.

That's because you've spent all that time learning to get the line to go where you want it.

For those of us who are still arguing with it, the dots help. You (or at least I) just sort of 'fake' drawing the line and put the dot where it should go. Pretending to draw the line keeps me on course and putting down just a dot marks where the line is supposed to go.

Sponsors