Just a Question On Finish

take-down

Elite Cafe Member
An interesting pistol came up on another forum I frequent
I have asked the owner if he can get some good close ups
To my untrained eye it looks relief engraved but the final finish looks like sand blasting
the thoughs of the more edumicated would be very interesting
Cheers Graham

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Graham,It looks like pitting,some one left this pistol in a bad place never saw a gun sandblasted after engraving.J.J.

Last edited:

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Graham,You may be right,sandblasted and then it was reblued.Over the years I've seen some badly abused firearms.J.J.

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'd say pitted, then engraved, because you can see original blue at the back of the frame, where the safety is when in the up position. I would not be too surprised to hear that it was sandblasted before engraving and bluing, but they would have blasted the gun assembled, which seems weird! (not that it's not weird anyway! :eek:)

BJREBUCK

DEFINATELY HEAVY RUST PITTING. DOESN'T APPEAR TO HAVE BEEN BLASTED BUT RATHER CARDED WITH A COARSE WIRE WHEEL TO REMOVE
THE RED OXIDE. THE ENGRAVING APPEARS TO HAVE BEEN CHASED IN SOME PLACES. I DON'T THINK IT'S BEEN REBLUED AS SOME OF THE ORIGINAL
COLOR CAN BE SEEN UNDER THE SAFETY LEVER WHEN IN THE UP POSITION. HATE TO THINK WHAT THE INSIDES LOOK LIKE.:eek:

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It looks like a bridge finish-chucked over the side of a bridge and retrieved a year or two later thus the remnants of red oxide after the wire wheel job.:beatup::beatup:

joe seeley

It appears to me that it was sand blasted or something to the sort, prior to the engraving, then it was blued.
I say this because the engraving cuts are not pitted or sand blasted, they are still somewhat brite if you look closely.
this was never a finish that was used by savage on any of their older firarms.
Joe

Latest posts

Sponsors