Just a thought (scriber)

K Frei

Elite Cafe Member
I had this idea to make a scriber similar to a swivel knife a leather tooler would use...but I couldn't make a wheel small enough that would hold a edge, so I had put it on hold. This weekend I had a idea, and went. Down to my local glass shop and piked up a tungsten carbide glass cutter; while I've not gotten the swivel knife part figured out yet it puts down an amazingly clean and fine line, with very little pressure, so it's easy to controll. For 6 bucks it worth a try... See what you think. K Frei

Casey Jordan

Without seeing a picture I think I know what your talking about.
Being a saddle maker and leather worker i'm very familiar with a swivel knife.
I think you could find a cheap Tandy Leather swivel knife on ebay and then cut most of the handle off the glass cutter and insert it into the swivel knife handle. The swivel knife blades are just held in by a set screw.

Great idea!

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I find that when I scribe the lines I do not want a cut. I am looking to burnish the metal rather than cut it. I have been using a carbide scribe for a long time with a minute rounded end for this purpose for many years now. I did try to use a .025 mm Siicci roller ball pen in which the ink had dryied but it would not roll. Been intending to try to flush the ink and replace with light oil to see how that works. Good project for tonite. Fred

PS-spent a about half an hour trying to get dried ink out-gave it up as a bad job-Fred

Last edited:

K Frei

Elite Cafe Member
K C Steve: I'm not sure what you are talking about so I can't really answer your question... Sorry
The only reason I want it to swivel is to help scribe out a curved line such as a scroll or something like it.
Please understand that there is no actual metal cut in this process, just the cleanest, finest line that I've been able to consistently produce yet, so I thought that I would pass it on. K Frei

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I'm having trouble wrapping my brain around the benefits of this tool.

Like Fred, I use a polished scriber and mine's made from carbide sharpened to a needle point and then slightly rounded at the tip and polished. This makes a burnish line that performs in any direction as sweetly as a fine ball point pen and without scratching the metal. For my work I need to see the point for precise layout.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Todd Daniels gave us a tip in a lettering class. Take a pen with the size ball you want, pull the end off of the ink cartridge, blow the ink out into a waste container and then clean the tip in a ultrasonic cleaner. Now you have a nice little rolling ball scriber/burnisher.

Latest posts

Sponsors