Just some thoughts.....

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I've been doing a little bit of thinking lately (dangerous I know, LOL) about things that have been said on another thread and am interested to know what other people think about the subject.

To some extent I get the impression that a lot of Master Engravers are looked on by some novices almost as 'gurus'. It seems (to me anyway) that to some extent the experienced engravers are held in some "Master v Grasshopper" point of view and I find this a little bit worrying. There seems to be a little bit of imbalance occasionally and by this I mean the experienced engraver is looked upon as if they have all the answers. To all you novices out there I'd like to say this, "We don't have all the answers, just a lot of experience." And in the same way, we have different ways of doing things. Master/experienced/professional engravers are not gurus, we are just ordinary guys who happen to make a living from engraving and should not be looked upon as some sort of oracle.

So what do I mean by this? Well, basically there is more than one way to skin a cat and a lot of engravers use differing techniques to reach similar results. There are certain 'rules' with engraving, however, that need to be followed but when enough experience is gained with the basics, the rules can be bent with excellent results. But the fundamentals need to be learned first.

The best way to learn these fundamentals by far is to be able to work along side a master engraver. This isn't an easy thing to do as apprenticeships are not easy to come by and the majority of engravers nowadays are looking to engraving almost as a second career so are coming to the art much later in life. So the next best way to learn is to take some classes in the basics. This will jump start the novices engraving career and enables a master engraver to pass enough knowledge to the student so they can go away and practice what they've been taught.

The third way and, in my opinion the most difficult, is the self taught route. This is really tough and the novice needs to be able to focus on one thing at a time for a long time until they get it right. This takes incredible discipline and the boredom factor can kick in early which means the temptation to skip over some aspects is a danger. Also needed is an eye for observation and replication of what one sees. To often we interpret something we think we see as opposed to what we actually see. This results in all sorts of mistakes being made which leads me to the need to be honest with one's self.

Before posting something for critique take the time to sit back or go and do something else so you can look at what you've produced with fresh eyes. Then ask yourself if it conforms to the basic rules? If you're a beginner, take the time to learn the basics of scrollwork (which can be found in Ron's books) if you don't know them. If you're more advanced you may be bending the rules but ask yourself if something is aesthetically pleasing? Either way be honest with yourself first and foremost. If you're asking for advice or critique tell us first what you think is wrong with it. It may be that it's not worth worrying about or it might be a huge bloomer that you don't know how to deal with. But make the effort, please.

Whilst everyone is eager to share advice, the beginner should be aware that not all advice is the same. Whilst someone might be listed as having hundreds of posts on the forum it doesn't necessarily follow that they're experienced engravers. Above all, this forum is not meant to take the place of a class or learning properly. It should not be a place to come to be spoon fed how-to-do things or "help me become.....". This is very important. Why should a professional engraver part with every one of the things they've taken a lifetime to garner? We are willing (very willing in fact) to share when we see efforts being made which result in mistakes. The experienced on the forum will willingly guide you back to the path but they should not be expected to take you by the hand and lead you to your destination; that is your job. A lot of the techniques the experienced engravers have under their belts is only by years of trial and error and experimentation.

Some folks seem to think that classes are pushed a bit too much, which is fine. The reason taking a class is suggested is to get a good disciplined grounding in engraving. Classes are not a short cut but they will help in guiding the novice as to the basics and how to implement them for best results. But classes are not the only route if for example you can't make it to/afford a class. The self taught route is tougher but that is not to say it can't be done. It might just take you a little longer if you decide on this method.

So please, do not take this as a "don't post until you can xyz". Continue to show work for critique and don't be afraid to ask for advice. But please, don't always expect to be spoon fed information. Half the fun of engraving is the journey, experimentation and overcoming obstacles and hurdles. Sometimes you need a leg up but it is only you that can ultimately reach your goal. :beerchug:

And by the way, this is only my opinion not necessarily those of the management. Please feel free to discuss and agree or disagree with me.

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
Marcus, when you stop and think you do a pretty darned good job! Couldn't find a dangerous thought one.

I remember the first time I realized I was getting better was when I stopped saying, "Dear, look what I can do" and started thinking, "...Oh dear, look what I have done! Now what?"

Cloudy

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Marcus- well said! I find I can see mistakes much more clearly in my photos rather than the piece itself- been too close in the working on- need the space and fresh eyes.

Sam- excellant phrasing- need to remember that one for sure!

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Marcus, sure you are not the only one that does some thinking. In fact, that is what I do while working if I don’t need my brains for the job.
I agree that there is some big gap between the Novices and the Masters. I was lucky Andrew took care of my request for help on my pocket knife. And he was almost the only one, so I was not overwhelmed with information from different masters.

And indeed with too much information one can get confused. This because like you said, not all teachers do things the same way and they even don’t always agree with each other.
But it would be better in my opinion that if one ask for critique and some good advice is given, it should stop there and the one who is giving the good advice only answers until the answers don’t work.

Another thing I would advice everyone, when starting a tread and asking for advice, one doesn’t start a new tread a week later with the same question, it is much more clear to everyone if all questions and answers stay within one read. That way before answering, one can read what is already said.
This is the way I mostly use a tread and perhaps that is why in my tread about the pocket knife, there was only one that one Andrew that was giving me advice at a certain point.

Another thing I have read in some other tread, is that it is quite frustrating for the ones that give good advices and are Igraver members for some years already, that the help that is offered is not used. So in my opinion, when one ask for advice and go an answer, try to explain if you have understood the answer and show in the same tread what you did with the answer. That way is interesting for both.

About taking classes, sure a good start. On the other hand, a class is mostly only 40 ours, and after that the question are coming. During a class of 40 ours in a week, I think one is so busy the questions not even pop-up in the mind. They come later. That is why this forum is so precious to answer struggling that come up.
So perhaps the Café was not meant to function as an engraving school, but for me it is the best school I can imagine and a great start to become familiar with engraving.
And compared to a class, there one has one teacher, here you can find many more.

I also learned, that when one ask for support with a uncertain attitude, the work he is showing receives much more critique (nitpicking) than if one asks the same question more confident.

I’m also aware that not everyone is able to use written answers the right way. It is like reading a manual, some can others don’t.

Just some of my brain storming, arnaud

Christian DeCamillis

Elite Cafe Member
Well said Marcus. Sam your statement is so true as well. I think in the begining we get too many at a boy's, mostly from friends and family. I think they are sincere, but encouregment is one thing and praise for the sake of praise is another.

I will say that since I started teaching, I have learned as much from students as they have from me. Suprisingly some of the best things I have learned come from the beginner or novice as the English say. That"s because they have fresh minds when it comes to all of these things. They don't have a skewed view of anything. That makes there observations more practical many times.

I think that beginners should pay attention, but just because someone who is considered a master speaks about something don't take it as gospel. Take the time to try things and research for yourself. This is the information age and the information is right at your fingertips.

My approach to teaching has always been , her's how it's done here's how I do it, here's how they do it , now you try it and use the things from all of this to fit what works best for you.

An example of researhing for yourself . A few threads back I talked about why diamond wheel are not the best choice for sharpening hhs steel gravers. I also talked about the fact that hhs gravers can be what most consider overheating, and not effect their temper. Don't take my word for it ,research it for yourself and be sure. Maybe along the way you will diuscover more information or misinformation.

Chris

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You brought up some good points, Marcus. I've often said that engraving is one of the most difficult disciplines to teach & learn because of the extreme physical/mechanical component. In other words, you can teach, or at least show, somebody HOW to do something in a matter of minutes, but it may be days, weeks, months or years before they CAN do it reasonably well. IMHO, the ideal engraving class for beginners would be 15 mins-1 hr of instruction once a week, then the student practices for 40 hrs (with occasional oversight to head off wrong turns), then you move on to the next lesson. Not terribly practical for seminars, i know...

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Great thread Marcus! :thumbs up:

Whilst someone might be listed as having hundreds of posts on the forum it doesn't necessarily follow that they're experienced engravers.

I'm proof of that!

Mitch hits the nail on the head, IMHO. A lot of Engraving (at least at the basic levels) is a physical skill - and one involving very fine motor control. It's the sort of thing that really needs the full-bandwidth of direct personal communication. Once you've got the basics down it's a lot easier to pick up new bits from the very limited information provided by typed words, still pictures, and the occasional video.

One small bit I'll add:

I think that it really helps to take more than one class, and from more than one instructor, as long as you space them properly.

My first class was with Marty Rabeno (Fancygun). I learned a ton of stuff just from being in the room - those little, hard to explain but easy to show things.

I let that class soak in about the time I thought I had it all internalized I took an Intermediate class with Lee Griffiths. Once again, I learned a ton of stuff and it really helped me advance. Because I waited until the lessons from Marty had sunk in as much as they could, the differences between the way he does things and the way Lee does them helped, rather than hurt. They helped me see why some things are done they way they are (often simply becuase that's how that person happens to do them) and made it easier for me to find the way that works best for me.

Having to take six months off due to minor health issues hasn't helped but I'm getting back up to speed and starting to make forward progress again. In fact, I'm getting close to being ready for another class (mentally, if not financially).

Makes me think of another point - even if you can't do a class, if you have a chance to spend some time with another engraver, do so! One of the great things about going to BLADE and the Engrave-In will be that time. I'll get to see some of this work we've only seen pictured, and watch some things being done. Heck, watching Mike do lettering at the Eiteljorg Museum bumped my poor lettering skills along, at least a bit.

Mario Sarto

Elite Cafe Member
... engravers are not gurus, we are just ordinary guys who happen to make a living from engraving ...
Exactly that it is, what makes a guru ;)

Hello Marcus and all you others out there!
I'd like to add my 2 cent to this as i'm in a lucky situation. I am an expert to jewelry and i am a raw recruit to engraving. This circumstance allows me to see both sides. On one hand i can understand that sometimes the "gurus" are a bit nerved by seeing always the same mistakes. On the other hand i can understand those (like me) who are proud of the first times getting out some chips of the metal.

I can remember my first post (the chalk holder). I remember that i couldn't wait for presenting the pictures on this forum. I didn't thought about sitting back, looking at it another day and try to find the mistakes (mistakes?) myself. No, i was really excited like a child and i felt the strong push to show them promptly. This still happens to me :) and - please don't take it amiss - perhaps it happens to the experts sometimes also. Maybe it is a kind of fever or fire that makes things going on (i hope!)?

When looking at jewelry i can see the mistakes immediately, i see everything. When looking at engraved items, i have to look more than two times to find something and more than ten times to find out what it is. With time and a lot practice of my own this becomes better. I feel it every day and you are right, Marcus, it is the journey that brings the fun. But this must be learned first...

I can understand that some are a bit upset, when Mike tries to become a master engraver in two years. In my profession he wouldn't get the journey-man papers in that time - nobody would! But i think, this isn't the point. There is a man who does it, he lines up to the trip and i really wish him (i wish you, Mike, if you read this) the very best. Sometimes it takes just time to learn how to learn. I am sure he will take all the good advices sooner or later.

So if there is someone out there, who wants to become friend with a burin, come in! It is a lot of work, there is very much to learn, sometimes it is frustrating and high-flying at the same time - it feels great!

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I've been doing a little bit of thinking lately (dangerous I know, LOL) about things that have been said on another thread and am interested to know what other people think about the subject.

To some extent I get the impression that a lot of Master Engravers are looked on by some novices almost as 'gurus'. It seems (to me anyway) that to some extent the experienced engravers are held in some "Master v Grasshopper" point of view and I find this a little bit worrying. There seems to be a little bit of imbalance occasionally and by this I mean the experienced engraver is looked upon as if they have all the answers. To all you novices out there I'd like to say this, "We don't have all the answers, just a lot of experience." And in the same way, we have different ways of doing things. Master/experienced/professional engravers are not gurus, we are just ordinary guys who happen to make a living from engraving and should not be looked upon as some sort of oracle.

I think you pretty much summed the whole thing up in that second paragraph. Personally I've never looked upon any of the masters as guru's, I just look at them with a heck of a lot of respect. They've all earned it and suffered their share of hard knocks along that journey to get where they are. Yourself included.

Well written.

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
I think showing a first attempt at something is ok & maybe the 10th attempt, just not all of em :big grin:

With all the available learning material here & elsewhere i don`t think commenting on doglegs or crooked lines is really worth the effort as they are obvious to anyone but not always avoidable unless real bad.

Drawing & cutting for newbs will cause these no matter what.
Eventually by repetition these should gradually decrease in severity & number.
(i hope)!
I think drawing & cutting is equally important to learn at the same time to his or her own ability especially for those that do not use hand tools in their daily lives.

What i do think is important & very much appreciated is help when something drastic like a wrong direction scroll or leaf or other big deal, as well as simple pointers on things that would enhance whats attempted.

If i was to draw a perfect flowing design that pleased everyone before i even tried making a balls up of the cutting i doubt i would even get around to transfering anything in this lifetime.
Maybe by re-trying to draw & cut the components repeatedly and joining them up with a few hints here & there we might get something reasonable one day. :)

Last edited:

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank you Mario, I could not have said it better, but you are right. And perhaps I'm even more impatient than you. Sitting back, having one night sleep and then looking again at my work before posting would be better for me and those who have to deal with all my doings before thinking. Sure one can change a lot in doings, but not all, we are what we are.
In a way, while we all are different but share the same passion, it should work at the end, it is the sum of us all that makes the average.
So if one is too kind having critiques, I think it is also a waste. In dutch we say: "zachte heelmeester maken stinkende wonden" (soft surgeon make stinking wounds)
So in my opinion when teaching, only compliments don't work. But sure we all need them from time to time.

arnaud

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Marcus the term 'guru' applies to spiritual life.
All we have here is engraving.
These terms such as 'master engraver', 'artist', etc. are honorifcs and not to be applied to oneself or even awarded by FEGA. At a certain point we can recognize mastery even if one is not a master.
The terms used on this forum are unfortunate. I have a big mouth so my numbers are up there. It doesn't mean I know more than the next person. Although in some cases I do.
Maybe you can get Sam to come up with more appropriate terms.
If a person of average intelligence hangs around for a while they should begin to learn who to trust and who's a . . . .
Kevin P.

Mike Frakes

Marcus your post is right on!

I don't post much here, but I do read almost every post. I believe your post is well thought out and makes several good points. I do agree that the less experienced engravers do lookup to the "masters" and I don't think that's all bad. I also agree most strongly with the statement you made to go take some classes. There are many different engravers, colleges and companies offering top notch classes with master engravers teaching them. New engravers can learn more in one week of a class than they probably ever will reading a forum. On that I speak from experience. I am not a master engraver, probably far from it, however I do feel I have learned a great deal with the classes I have taken at GRS. The classes I have taken so far are two of Sam's classes (he is an awesome engraver and great teacher), one class under Christian DeCamillias (another awesome engraver and great teacher),and two classes under Rex Pedersen or Fega Rex (yet another awesome engraver and a really great teacher). All the classes at GRS have been simply outstanding. This year I went nuts and signed up for three GRS classes, one with Bob Finley and two drawing classes with Lee Griffiths. Oh, I also took a class with a "master engraver" in Springfield, MO. and it wasn't nearly as good as the GRS courses, but one out of six isn't bad.

Anyway, thanks for your post Marcus I think it will help the new people the wheat from the chaff. :beerchug:

Mike

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
How does a child learn anything?
By having a go & repeating many times.

They do not think & try to figure out all the technical problems first.
Least adults can iron out some of the technical issues first, but i believe worrying too much about them and not enough "doing" is problematic.

Let the juice flow, study what you have done then do it again.
Improvement is like growing, you can`t really see it daily but only after a few weeks it becomes more visible.

Latest posts

Sponsors