Critique Request keytag design to silver pendant

Mattymo

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Thread starter #1
Keytag with an original design. Break it down and give me your worst. Only things I might change are some elements on the outside or relieving all the way to the border. Really these are practice for shading and will give em away, but in the meantime, thanks for looking.

Attachments

Last edited:

Goldjockey

Elite Cafe Member
Scroll structure is sound, pleasing, and postitive/negative space is very good.

Scroll elements read well but need to extend to touch the backbone, and could use a bit more definition and flair.

Single point shading is clearly defined and nicely spaced, but needs taper (light to dark, fine to heavy) and weight to convey a proper sense of light to shadow.

Overall, the design and use of space is very good and well balanced, and could benefit from a clear border encompassing and defining the outer edges of the design elements.

The total area of the design could be brought in about ~10% to accomplish this without the need to change the structure or flow of the scroll design.

The background removal and treament looks great, and the overall effect of the existing design would be enhanced with an encompassing ~ 1/16" to 3/32" border from the ouside edge of the key fob with additional background removed between the scroll elements and inside border element.

Last edited:

Mattymo

Thread starter #3
Scroll structure is sound, pleasing, and postitive/negative space is very good.

Scroll elements read well but need to extend to touch the backbone, and could use a bit more definition and flair.

Single point shading is clearly defined and nicely spaced, but needs taper (light to dark, fine to heavy) and weight to convey a proper sense of light to shadow.

Overall, the design and use of space is very good and well balanced, and could benefit from a clear border encompassing and defining the outer edges of the design elements.

The total area of the design could be brought in about ~10% to accomplish this without the need to change the structure or flow of the scroll design.

The background removal and treament looks great, and the overall effect of the existing design would be enhanced with an encompassing ~ 1/16" to 3/32" border from the ouside edge of the key fob with additional background removed between the scroll elements and inside border element.
Thank you for the critique and for the expert advise. Appreciate this forum and for the more experienced to weigh in.

flintdoubles

Matty, if you go back and recut the outside of the scrolls you can clean up some small areas like the lower right scroll has a small bump on the outside. When you recut you will do what monk was saying and emphasize your design.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I think your design has potential with a few tweaks. It's screaming for some outer work which will really fill in and balance the outside areas.

Be careful with over polishing or sanding your work after it's shaded. If it needs deburring do that before shading. Once shading is done I don't touch mine except in rare instances. The first thing to go is the delicate tapered startup of your shade cuts and you don't want to lose those. Plus sanding and polishing can ruin the crispness of my cuts so I avoid it.

I will add that it's not uncommon for those still in the learning curve to have cuts that aren't perfectly smooth and free of burs, and thus some deburring is necessary.

Mattymo

Thread starter #9
Attempt number four and I will likely do ten more till I am satisfied. A couple points i will try to address are that I will make the design stretch closer to the edge next time and use a 120 for shading instead of the 105, balance the outside elements better and go deeper with the background, as well as giving seperation from the flowers and the scrolls.
At the moment I am building up the courage to engrave a tiffany money clip I purchased, and I believe I will get there after ten more of these. Thank you for the help and interest, you guys are awesome.

Attachments

Archie Woodworth

Elite Cafe Member
Might not be "world class" but sure looks good and sure as heck will sell ... consider it GONE. Engrave some more.Maybe even on the next one offer it with an initial on the other side. Sell it for whatever you you can get; then start on the next one. You can ratchet up the price the more you sell. Just look at it this way, for now you are learning and you are getting paid to learn.

Mattymo

Thread starter #12
Thank you. I wont blow up the cafe with every finished piece, but when i get to the last one ill post to see progress. Much appreciated for the critique and confidence.

Mattymo

Thread starter #14
Made some adjustments and am engraving in sterling silver to mark for sale. Sterling is definitely gummier than what I'd like, but practice makes perfect. Working past procrastination of perfection to have finally completed a piece for sale.

Trying to getter better each time by slowing down and taking it one cut at a time. Thanks for lookin. All criticism is welcome and appreciated. 20200724_122728.jpg

Last edited: