L.W.Seecamp slide ... pics

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
5mi from the nearest Dunkin Donuts in Tennessee
Hello folks,

I post this with a little reservation because only the slide is completed. This slide has the more extensive and detailed coverage as other areas will only be accented (like the end of the barrel and trigger guard for instance)

I've mentioned this before regarding the hardness. 415 cast hardened stainless. Brutal. It makes those North American Arms minis seem like warm butter. Here's where I would normally complain how the sharpening time alone exceeds the agreed price. (Ha!...Looks I just did!!)

This was a great excerise in broken graver engraving. Keep cutting deeper till that Carbalt graver just won't cut no more then clean up the cuts with a freshly sharpened tip. Shading was a different story ... no room for a broken tip when doing that.

I used a Lindsay Carbalt with a 105 degree widened tip (from 90), a 65 degree face and a short heel. Dubbing the tip made little difference. This minimized breakage while not producing a cut much different than a stock 90 degree angle.

One little handy-dandy modification was to my stippling tool. Rather than use a 4 sided tapered point, I doubled it to 8. A tapered, octagonaly sharpened tip rarely broke, and performed very well because I didn't have the corners of the 4 sided tip to damage the surrounding work in the tight spaces around the background.

I thought maybe I was the only nut to cut into one of these but it looks like another engraver ... John Dommers beat me to it. His engraving is shown on Seecamp's site here ... http://seecamp.com/1LWSTRY2b.jpg

Well, I'll try to answer any questions ... please feel free to pick it apart.

For any future Seecamps that someone may ask me to engrave, I will make only one more investment in equipment .... I good pair of running shoes so I can run for cover. :)

Regards,

Chris

Last edited:

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Chris, you sound like some kind of masochist, lol!

I think anyone who manages to cut steel like you describe deserves a medal. I wouldn't think to pick something like this apart because the medium you're cutting dictates, to a greater degree, how and what you are able to cut. You've managed to do this extremely cleanly despite your battle with the steel.

Personally, I'd have turned down a job like this coz life's too short! Well done.

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You're welcome Jim .... and thank-you.

Thank-you Christiaan ... much appreciated.

Brian ... I'll probably never engrave an abacus either!!!

Marcus, I contacted Seecamp and they gave me the info on 415 stainless. Said it wasn't much different than the 416 Ruger uses. They gave me the Rockwell hardness for annealed 315. What they never mentioned was that it is hardened and that their casting process produces an even tougher product (info they've recently added to their web site).

If I knew it was like this ... believe me, I never would have done it.

The frame might not be as bad, but that's at the gunshop and I don't know when I'm gonna get to that.

Catch ya later,

Chris

Last edited:

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hey Chris! That steel doesn't look too hard to me!

Excellent! Rock on!

I particularly like your over and under treatment. Did I say that before?

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Steve, a friend made a reference to T111 armour plate today. That gave me a chuckle.

Ron, thank-you again. That critique you gave this little bit of work a couple of weeks ago truly means a lot.

Well, I'll catch you all soon when I check back in. So many great new threads on here with folks getting extraordinary work accomplished. Gotta lot of work ahead of me.

Chris

Update ..... it appears that only the slide is tough stuff. The rest of it ain't bad.

Last edited:

Sponsors