Las Cruces Bit

Steve223

Elite Cafe Member
Heres a Las Cruces Cheeked bit with a halfbreed mouth that i finished this week. This was my first attemped at relife engraveing. I made a bunch of mistakes but i learned abunch doing it and im fairly happy with the results, Of corse its pretty crude compared to what most of you all are doing but its a start for me. And its a half decent pic to LOL
Thanks for looking and for any comments you might have.
Steve

Last edited:

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Heres a Las Cruces Cheeked bit with a halfbreed mouth
Steve,
For those of us who have no "horse sense," you could have said it was a goat harness and I would have believed you.

Good job.

Dave

santos

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Steve,

I notice you've been practising in the reverse side of the brass ?
It looks very nice to me

jr hoot gibson

Elite Cafe Member
Santos
It has become a practice of engraving the backbone of the scrollwork on the back side of a lot of western gear. It is engraved iron, with silver inlays on the edges, and overlaid sterling silver. This pattern is a very traditional vaquero style.
Hoot

Steve223

Elite Cafe Member
Santos Hoot is right on! Thanks for explainin that Hoot. And thank you forr the nice comments guys.
Steve

eastslope

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Steve, now thats a sharp looking rig. Your inspiring me to give one a try. Beautiful work, Seth

Steve223

Elite Cafe Member
Dave next time ill post a goat harness LOL
Thank you Joe
You should build one Seth and be sure and post pics of it i would love to see it.

I guess i should have elaborated on it a little more.
This one is built out of 1018 cold roll. It has a 5 1/4" wide mouth,the canon is 3/8" diameter The staple in the mouth is 2 1/4" long. The cheeks are 9" long and theres 3'' above the canon and 6" below the canon. Theres a total of 48 1/8" wide silver stripes,24 inlaid in each cheek. The origanal plan was to do some file work inbetween each stripe but i changed my mind after i got them inlaid, I just dident want to mess up the lines. I finnished it down to 800 grit then polished it with 0000 steel wool then french greyd it.The rein chains are built out of 18 guage nickel wire
The only thing i dident build on this bit were the slobber chains and they are just bulk nickel watch chain.
Thats prolly more than anyone wanted to know LOL.
Steve

ken dixon

Elite Cafe Member
Steve,
That is a really nice looking bit, thanks for the specific tech info. I too have a bit on my list of "when I get around to it projects".
Ken

Steve223

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you Ken! And when you get around to building that bit i would sure love to see it.
Alot of guys like building spurs and spurs are more personal but bits have fasanated me since i was a kid and the first time i saw a mission style bit really put my fasanation in to overdrive and i still have it and i love to build bits!!
Thank you everone for looking and takeing the time to post.
Steve

Ed Warnock

Steve nice job!
The angel of the staple is right nice, the longer length should be good. I notice alot of them are shorter now days which can contact the back edge of the hard palet in the mouth.
Your engraving is great!
Ed

Steve223

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you Ed and i agree with you you see a lot of them that are pretty short. I kinda figure those old timers knew what they were doin.
Thank you Denny i really appercaite you takeing the time to comment.
Steve

Sponsors