LC Smith 20ga.Feather Weight

kguns

I got re-aquatinted with a childhood friend recently. Discovered he's big into hunting & fishing, our kinda guy. He asked me to build him a gun. After a short Internet search by some friends, we found this LC Smith for sale. Read the sales description below and you'll see what a Jewell this gun is. My client has pulled out the stops and has opted for the best I can do. He wants lots of progress reports and pictures so we decided to share the project online. Were just getting started, and the gun is arriving n a few weeks, The subject of the engraving will of course be upland birds and dogs in the finest Italian Bollino and Puntinni. The scroll and scenes will be in the style of Pedresolli and Fracassi, A tall order to say the least. This should be fun. If all goes well it will be finished by years end

dsc02093[1].jpg dsc02096[1].jpg dsc02097[1].jpg dsc02094[1].jpg dsc02090[1].jpg dsc02092[1].jpg dsc02091[1].jpg dsc02095[1].jpg

Here is a rather special gun! Though "in the white" and shootable, the original intention was to create a unique, elaborately engraved, "over the top" custom gun. The project started several years ago with, already at the time, a relatively rare 20 gauge featherweight LC Smith, double triggers, with ejectors! After extensive custom metal work and fabrication, by the late William "Bill" Crowley, the gun now sports one of a kind hand detachable sidelocks with no exposed pins, extended forend latch plate, extended beaded trigger guard and hand fitted heel and toe clips on the checkered butt.
Larry Amrine crafted the custom fore end and buttstock from beautifully figured walnut, with the following dimensions:
14-1/4" pull, 1-3/8" drop at comb, 2-1/2" drop at heel, six degrees pitch and no detectible cast.
Wood and metal fit, finish and sculpting are truly "American Best Quality" as demonstrated on the perfect drop points, checkering and the mini "shelves where wood meets the frame and the bottom of the barrels...Just superb and awe-inspiring craftsmanship!
This lively 6-1/4 pound beauty wears 26" "Armor Steel" barrels with 2-3/4" chambers, choked right 0.017" and left 0.027"
The previous owner, World-renowned Master Firearms Engraver Terry Wallace, unfortunately passed away, before applying his engraving tools and extreme talent for gold inlays to this perfect "Engraver's Dream of a Steel Canvas." Since this was to be his own personal firearm, for use in the field, he spared no expense when it came to metal and stock fabrication.
It is now our pleasure to offer this unique piece for sale to the discriminating collector or aspiring or seasoned engraver, to continue on the path of completion with lavish engraving (to take advantage of the pinless sidelocks) or to simply black the gun, producing an American style "Funereal" gun, similar to some Purdeys, or to finish in any style desired! The "canvas" is here, waiting for an artist!

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Kurt, I've seen this gun in person and it is indeed a wonderful canvas. Look forward to seeing what you come up with.

kguns

Kurt, I've seen this gun in person and it is indeed a wonderful canvas. Look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Thanks Lee,

I know several people wanted this gun, but were not willing to go the distance

Eventually I’ll introduce the patron of this fine gun who is a World Renowned Artist in his own right and the World’s Foremost Authority in his field.

It's rare to find a gun ready for us to work on of this caliber. Not to mention that Bill Crowley was a genius with metal. I worked with him on The Safari Club Whitetail Rifle SCI-26 built by David Miller and Curt Crumm. Incredible gun. Epic Failure at the auction. I would not recommend any no reserve auction to anyone looking to sell. It was a great deal for the buyer, He's happy as a clam.

I have another speculation project gun that's I'll start posting on soon. It's been in the works for a long time, Costs have gone way over the top. One of a kind. newly minted from the ground up. An extremely rare version of a classic. I’m going for the gold on this one. From my research if this one doesn't blow everyone’s socks off, then maybe I'll have to find a new Jobby. :happyvise:

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
Is it done yet? You posted yesterday! Are we there yet?
Speaks to the "want it now" mentality! I look forward to seeing what develops on the 'miles' of canvas available there! (At least under a 'scope, it seems to be miles). What a project, and what a challenge, to do something with that pedigree. I am envious, but know better than to touch graver to something like that myself. I look forward to the progress.
Will

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
lemme know when you want those barrel fixture plans, Kurt- because i'm guessing you'll be spending a bit of time scratchin' on the tubes on this project... ;)

kguns

Well Elsie is in the house, but she's Ill. I'm looking for a top notch Gunsmith that can tighten the action. For all the work that was done on it she's incredibly loose. Hard to understand how that would be. Normal progression of work dictates that all gunsmithing such as this should have been completed before any exterior work was executed.
I've started some layout and an idea for the L C Smith name on the sides of the reciever. It's an Anmbiagram

Elsie Ambiagram.jpg Elsie Ambiagram.jpg

Last edited:

highveldt

Elite Cafe Member
Those gentlemen mentioned are highly regarded gunsmiths. However Buck Hamlin of Pevely, Mo. is the most highly regarded gunsmith in America for L.C. Smith and LeFever work.

Steve

Latest posts

Sponsors