lead filled ruby

Les Riddell

there is some clarity enhanced ruby out there that has been filled with lead. you might all already know about this. This material is hard to detect. if you are doing repair work on something you have not personally made you might not know if or how it has been tampered with. i purchased some on request from a client and put it through its paces. i found that with all the looking the work and impact it held up very well but when i put it in the pickle pot to clean, the lead etched into a milky web that covered the stone. I have now found it prudent to warn customers of this when taking in repair and alteration work. I no longer clean customers jewellery that is set with ruby in the pickle pot after alterations without protecting the stones.
just another thing to keep on your mind.

Nathan Ott

A friend of mine had a carat plus Ruby "bleach" in his pickle pot. He thought this alteration was to blame.

Beryllium infusion is another common enhancement that can cause you trouble. Any large blue or Padparadscha (orange/pink) should be handled with care. I'm fairly sure the beryllium infusion can handle a pickle pot, unless yours is incredibly hot, but direct torch heat (especially prolonged heat akin to annealing the stone) will probably lead to color change.

Basically the beryllium infusion consists of firing the sapphire in a kiln along with beryl. At a certain temperature the beryl will actually fuse into the outer layer of the sapphire. This has been in use longer than previously thought. At first it was thought to be used only to create the appearance of Padparadscha-like color, but the American Gem Trade Association has found that it has also been used to lighten overly dark blues. http://www.agta-gtc.org/2006-03-29_be_sapphire.htm

As a general rule of thumb I treat any large sapphire/ruby with extra care, especailly in regard to ANY kind of heat. Another rule I live by is never trusting the customer to disclose enhancements (that part is on the envelope to protect us, not because they'll ever use it). Unfortunatly I've found that in 90% of cases involving treated/enhanced gems the customer is not aware of the enhancement.

One other thing. If I have a stone that I don't want to risk damaging in my pickle pot I will use this solution I get from Otto-Frei. You can actually use this stuff without heat and it works pretty well. Also it's biodegradable, and the fumes won't poison you, though I wouldn't recommend drinking it. :) http://www.ottofrei.com/store/product.php?productid=8266&cat=0&page=1

Last edited:

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yes it is, and if you ever have to work on something with a ruby or a sapphire in it - say a knife with one set in the bolster - this could be very important.

Nathan Ott

Kevin,

The 2 fields overlap at times. In fact, I believe there are some stone setting tutorials on the GRS website. Many of us are, or would like to be, goldsmith/stone-setter/engraver hybrids. Always better safe than sorry.

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Nathan, I would suggest that there are sites that are more focused on metal work and gemology than this one. There are jewelers who participate in this forum; they are more interested in engraving techniques than the majority of jewelers (anecdotal evidence only).
It's admirable that you want to broaden your field of interest.

"Always better safe than sorry." In this day of treatments, enhancements, etc., most jewelers would remove stones from their settings before working on the jewelry. Otherwise you open yourself to questions of liability.

Another point: why would one expect a customer to know whether their stone is enhanced or not; most jewelers wouldn't.
Kevin P.
goldsmith, lapidary, student of engraving.

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Nathan and Les, Thanks a lot for bringing this issue to my attention - as well as other engravers too. It is very much appreciated that those of you who have expert knowledge in other fields (jewelry, knives, guns/gunsmithing, bluing, heat treatments, types of metal, etc.) chime in. It not only helps some of us avoid problems, but it allows this community to develop much more intelligent and well rounded engravers/jewelers/craftsmen. :)

Mr. Kevin P., If you feel there is an issue with something posted please let one of the moderators know and we will give it our full attention, but please don't discourage participation by members of the forum. :(

canadian

Elite Cafe Member
Tira,

Wisely spoken. I am completely with you on the subject.
I am a jeweler, gem cutter and a student of engraving. However, I have learned that in life knowledge can only help.
Boris

Latest posts

Sponsors