LED ring lamp for under $30

Scratchmo

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I got this from Amazon for $29.99 It's an LED ring light that can work on 2 AA batteries, or with the DC adaptor. Comes with several adaptor rings to fit microscopes or cameras. I got it for a mobile engraving bench I'm putting together, but I may replace my florescent lamp with this. It may be a bit brighter, but one nice feature is that you can use left side or right side lighting. It also works pretty well for coin photos.

http://www.amazon.com/LED-Light-Macr.../ref=pd_cp_e_2

Scratchmo

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
For some reason that link isn't working for me. If you go to Amazon and enter "48 LED Ring Light for Macro Canon Nikon Sigma Tamron Lens" their search engine will find it. Make sure it's not the Flash version.

So, Now after you've worked with it for a bit , how do you like it? I'm in the market for a microscope light. Is it dim-able or is it just adjustable to light from side to side or all around? Would you choose a brighter one (more leds ) if you were working at higher magnification?
thanks in advance ,
mike

unclejim1955

Elite Cafe Member
I bought one just after this post was placed. It's a great light. It's not dim-able. My problem is that I have a Boreal scope, cuz I can't afford a better one yet and the opening in the light is too small to fit over it. I mounted it to the rear and it worked okay. Then I bought 2 of those $10.00 lights from Ikea and now I just use the ring light for my camera, but I'm sure that if it fit my scope I would love it.

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Scratchmo,

Thanks for the link, I bought one and I like it. It also works as a 'no shadow' light on the spindle of my milling machine. It does not dim, but it has a switch for selecting one half or the other.

Rod

nhcowboy1961

Elite Cafe Member
I bought a nice LED light ring for my scope and used it for a bit, this one is dimmable. While I like it ok the reflections of the many small diodes in a circular pattern are distracting on my work piece. I may try to cover it with some tracing paper to diffuse the light. It will last over 12 years going 24/7-365, that's pretty impressive! I like the softer white light of fluorescent lighting better to be honest but it's nice to know I have a light that will out live me :)

Thanks for the advice on this topic and if any one else wants to comment please do so! I'm watching these useful tips before spending my ducats! It's for a meiji emz5. I'm purchasing slowly piece by piece for this microscope set up. Uncle Jim , Was there a ink with your last post?

mike

Latest posts

Sponsors