Letter Engraving Advice Needed

Norm

I've agreed to engrave a french poesy ring for a friend of mine. However I'm having trouble figuring out the best way to engrave the lettering. FYI - This is my first attempt at lettering on a piece of Jewellery....don't worry however it's not a sentimental piece, its a silver ring I cast in my shop.

I tried engraving the slogan yesterday on a practice plate but didn't have too much success. I tried using a flat, a 90 and a 120 but my efforts don't seem to be producing very good results. I'm also not sure if I should be trying to remove material in one pass or multiple passes.

I am using a microscope and the lettering is approx 2.5mm high. For a beginner, I may have bitten off more than I can chew using this font. In any case I'm determined to get this done and would greatly appreciate any advice. I've attached a sample of the lettering.

Thanks,

Attachments

• font.jpg
    font.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 159

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Norman: I've done a few posey rings, and cut the old English or calligraphic style of lettering with a flat graver and then cut the serifs or poins with a square. Don't feel that you have to make the cut in one pass. I usually make multiple cuts to achieve the depth I need. I suppose you could cut this style with a round graver as well, but my first choice would be a flat. / ~Sam

GeorgeKhayata

I do a lot of lettering on jewelry, for this kind of job I would use the liner graver and the square. I think the liner could be easier for you to control.
But when the master "Sam" says he uses the flat I am going to try it my self and see how it works.
George

Norm

Thanks for the pointers......I'll be giving them a try over the week-end and will let you how it goes.

What is a liner?....is it just a very narrow flat? Do I need to put a heel on it like a flat?

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I do a lot of lettering on jewelry, for this kind of job I would use the liner graver and the square. I think the liner could be easier for you to control.
But when the master "Sam" says he uses the flat I am going to try it my self and see how it works.
George

George: A liner is a good choice for this kind of job. I don't use them very often, but I've seen some spectacular block and old English lettering jobs cuts with liners.

GeorgeKhayata

Norman,
A liner is a narrow florentine graver, flat with multiple lines in the bottom it deppend on how wide and fine it is, some of them come already curved but you need to cut off about half an inch from the tip side so you can use it properly, and some come straight.
Good luck
George.

Norm

The tradition of Poesy Jewelry & Poesy Rings dates back to Ancient Egypt but reached the height of popularity in the 16th and 17th centuries. Poesy rings are engraved with words, love poems, symbols & quotations from around the world & each piece has its own tale to tell. I've attached an example.

Attachments

• poesy ring.jpg
    poesy ring.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 111

GeorgeKhayata

I have engraved a similer ring in the past but I didn't know that they call it a poesy ring:(
George

Sponsors