lettering

Rancher Mike

in cutting script letters over one quarter inch the flat graver works great for the shade lines and the 120 degree square for the hair lines. With small script letters around three sixteenths is it better to use a 120 degree square graver tilted a bit for the shade lines? the shade lines are quite small. thanks mike

allan621

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
First, I'm assuming what you call shade lines are the thicker part of a script letter and the hair lines are the thinner cuts that connect the thicker cuts. Jewelry engravers usually call the thicker sections bright cuts, since they are usually are cut with a polished tool and reflect a lot of light. The funny thing is that I've never heard a name for the thinner cuts. But hair lines is pretty good.

The answer to your question is that it all depends on what you have confidence using.

I use flat tools for the bright cuts and a square tool ( called square tools because they are ground from square steel rods ) at 90 degrees for the thinner hair cuts. The reason for the 90 degree tool is that's what I was trained to use. I use the same combination when doing inside ring engraving, which can be really tiny or large trophy engraving which can have pretty large letters.

But I learned from a few great master engravers who never ever used a flat tool to cut script letters, just square tools. The difference between their letters and mine in appearance? ZERO. We use what we have confidence in.

The best thing to do is to practice the letters on a piece of copper and see what you feel works best for you. Get consistent in using certain tools in certain situations. And when you no longer wonder what to use, then its time to start experimenting in using different tools in the same situation.
Allan

Latest posts

Sponsors