Lindsay Engraving Stand

Choppers_rule

Elite Cafe Member
Hello everyone! For those who own ones, can you please tell me if the built in turntable has enough drag/ brake? According to Steve, the built in turntable just has a lock.

I'm considering one due to to the cost compares to the GRS satellite stand.

Thank you.
Denny

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
i use one. my leg acts as a break for it I just lean my leg into it to slow it down as needed

Choppers_rule

Elite Cafe Member
Hmmmm.....I have midget legs and using a pedal, so probably won't be able to use Bert's method to slow it down:(

Scottyd

I have one. It is smooth turning and has a little drag built into it and not as free as my Shimpo turntable - but it works just fine for me. I put an adjustable drag on my Shimpo turntable but I don't see an easy way to add a similar device on the Lindsay turntable other than the Bert knee approach. I found I was not using the drag on the Shimpo but was just locking down.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I've not tried Lindsay's but the GRS model has a nifty gas spring which makes raising and lowering a breeze.

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
For me drag is not an issue. I am using a GRS turntable with my microscope and I want it to spin as drag free as possible Actually I never even attached the little drag gizmo on mine. I have used this turntable with my drill press stand and now have gone over to the satellite stand which is very comfortable to use. I just attached my old turntable to it. No drag just free spinningwhich I rotate with my left hand as need be.
Now for hammer and chisel I use a foot turning set up to turn the vice while I cut

Banding Wheel Substitue

For anyone who is looking to save money and doesn't need a braking or slowing mechanism then i recommend going this route. You could even mill holes into the side and create your own brake or lock system. I got the BW-25 for $80 and has been working well for me. At some point I will likely upgrade to a satellite turntable but for now this works great. Fits perfectly on my large vice shelf.

bandingwheels.jpg

Choppers_rule

Elite Cafe Member
It's good to know both Lindsay's & GRS turntables have more drag than the Shimpo I've been using. The Shimpo is moving too freely without adding a braking device, plus it wobbles a little.

Sam

Staff member
It's good to know both Lindsay's & GRS turntables have more drag than the Shimpo I've been using. The Shimpo is moving too freely without adding a braking device, plus it wobbles a little.

Wobble would be a deal breaker for me.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I was debating whether to get the Lindsay or the GRS system, I decided on the GRS satellite, one because i already own a grs turntable and it would fit perfectly, second ive heard from owners of the lindsay that if you use a big vise and have it sit closer to the edge you can seen turntable give with the weight, does not affect the spin, as in was told. 3rd, GRS in my opinion, will be able to offer replacement parts if needed, even down to a screw. Evey item is serviceable and they will fix it no matter what, i own the satellite and with a grs magana block, when loosened it will raise up on its own, so easy to lift and bring down, before I had to crank that sucker up with my drill press stand. Satellite worth every penney.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Choppers_rule

Elite Cafe Member
I was debating whether to get the Lindsay or the GRS system, I decided on the GRS satellite, one because i already own a grs turntable and it would fit perfectly, second ive heard from owners of the lindsay that if you use a big vise and have it sit closer to the edge you can seen turntable give with the weight, does not affect the spin, as in was told. 3rd, GRS in my opinion, will be able to offer replacement parts if needed, even down to a screw. Evey item is serviceable and they will fix it no matter what, i own the satellite and with a grs magana block, when loosened it will raise up on its own, so easy to lift and bring down, before I had to crank that sucker up with my drill press stand. Satellite worth every penney.

Hi Carlos, what do you mean by turntable give when you put the vise closer to the edge?? I'll be using a GRS Magnablock vise & I do engrave large parts a lot of time.

My concern for the GRS stand is the gas shock which will need to be replaced eventually. How long will it last? & how much to replace them?

Sam

Staff member
Hi Carlos, what do you mean by turntable give when you put the vise closer to the edge?? I'll be using a GRS Magnablock vise & I do engrave large parts a lot of time.

My concern for the GRS stand is the gas shock which will need to be replaced eventually. How long will it last? & how much to replace them?

I believe it's a similar gas spring as in office chairs. I've never had to replace any in my chairs. Maybe a call or email to GRS could get an answer

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~

Yes, when it was closer to the edge a visible change in the gap between the plates was visible. Infonfrom actual users, so i went with GRS.

Choppers_rule

Elite Cafe Member
I believe it's a similar gas spring as in office chairs. I've never had to replace any in my chairs. Maybe a call or email to GRS could get an answer

Sam, I did emailed GRS and they said the gas spring will need to be replaced eventually but didn't say how long it will last. I'm not sure if we are able to just order the part & replace it ourself or we have to send the whole stand back for replacement? That would be a pain.

MICHAEL

Elite Cafe Member
I used a double acting air cylinder from McMaster Carr when I built my stand. Just figure the weight of your vice and go a little more for weight of parts and turntable. You also have to know the length of stroke and bore size you want. Easy to figure if your replacing an existing cylinder. I do not put any gas or air in mine. I can easily raise or lower with 1 hand. I have pictures of mine in a past post for reference.

Last edited:

Sponsors