Critique Request Line practice with round and 120 degree gravers

Disclaimer before I start: I got my engraving setup to augment my jewelry some time ago (around 2014) and it's done well for that purpose. I used a gravermax G8 here, with 901 handpiece. That being said, I figured I'd start trying to do real engraving eventually, so here I am. I'm just throwing this out here for critique, because expert opinions are much better than my own discernment in my opinion. I have a number of Sam's DVD's on hard copy and Purple platform that I have used as instruction. I haven't done much fancy stuff, as I'm just trying to get good with making straight lines. I have done probably ten 2"x2" practice plates worth of engraving (I estimate about 50 hours worth total) and I just want to see where I need to improve.

In this image, the top and bottom lines were done with a 120 degree graver, and all middle straight lines were done with a #52 round engraver, with the exception of the line that I did around one of the round graver lines, and that line is also 120 degree graver. I did polish the plate before I added the last 120 graver line, but it wasn't necessary because I didn't have any metal burs; I was just experimenting to see what it looked like with a polish.

Attachments

• IMG_1858.jpg
    IMG_1858.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 157

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Hello and Welcome Michael,
May I complement you on your wise decision to start with the basics

Your multiple closely placed straight lines are well done with pretty close length of cut.
Not an easy exercise and well done. Good straight and parallel lines of equal depth.
The top, outlined straight line has some problem of depth/width control on the right hand end. Still a decent effort that you can improve with time and practice.
Hope you find engraving enjoyable and a profitable addition to your jewelry business.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
maintaining consistent line width with a 120 is more difficult than with a 90 or 105. any variation in depth will result in more pronounced variation of width with a wider graver. from a practical standpoint, if you have a lot of border lines to cut, a narrower graver will be less of a headache.

Crossbolt

Elite Cafe Member
Looks pretty good. I still have difficulty with long straight lines so I've moved to a 70 degree to practice for now. Narrower angles definitely track much straighter but they don't turn as well Just some input for thought

Latest posts

Sponsors