looking for bronze tubing

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I am looking for some 5/8 pr 3/4 silicone bronze tubing for an engraved fly rod project. I have searched the net over and notta .... zilch....aint gonna happen.

Any of you guys know where I can get such a piece fo tubing?

Thanks,
Ray

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
Ray, Try MSC. There Big Blue book show Bronze tubbing and solid rods page 1737 to 1739. There web site is www.mscdirect.com. They are real fast on thier deliveries.

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I looked at MSC but they do not carry silicone bronze tubing only bearing bronze which is not the same alloy.

That is the problem I am running into. Lots of places have naval bronze and oilite bronze but they don't carry silicone bronze.

Paul Hamler put me onto a place that has some that I can machine down to what I need. I would prefer to find something where I would not have to do much lathe work to get it to size.

Thanks,
Ray

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ray maybe check out some of the larger watch makers supply places. Sounds like something a watch maker may use. Borel, Cas-Ker, Larose probably would have had it but I think their out of business. Maybe some of the watch makers on here can help more.
Mike

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I doubt any of those suppliers would have any and if they did, not that big. Traditionally clockmakers and watchmakers use brass tubing. I think you are right about S.Larose being off the rader screen. I used to get nearly all my american watch parts from them and they knew their stuff too but the management changed and it promptly went to the toilet.

I'd try Alaska Copper & Brass in Seattle. They have a huge place and good prices.

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
One more thought. Isn't some of the large caliber gun bullet cases around that size. Probable military, but if
you go to a gun show now and then. You might run accross some that's the right size.
Just a thougt.

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
What is 5/8 PR? If it's 5/8 inside diameter. What's wrong with going to a tool and die shop
and just having them turn one on the lathe? I'm not sure where you live but in the Detroit Area.
There are small machine shops everywhere. 20 to 50 dollars and it's finished.

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jim I am looking for 5/8" od and 3/4" od

I can turn it myself but cutting off a piece of tubing takes a few seconds. Machining down from bar stock takes a lot of work and waste a lot of material.

Ray

ihsfab

Elite Cafe Member
This may help

Hi Ray I didn't know if you need a high silicon or low bronze. Try these guys out they make everything from rods too tubes ,nuts, bolts, sheets, and pipe give them a call. http://www.nbmmetals.com/c651.html
http://www.nbmmetals.com/c655.html And something else I forgot to tell you if you do a search for something like this remember what the base material is which for bronze is copper sometimes you can come up with something that way. I use to do some TIG welding copper and bronze sheets and soild stuff so I hope all of this helps.

Kulley

Last edited:

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
THanks guys I have looked all over and followed several links and I think I am just going to use the stuff that Atlas metals has. It is a little thicker wall thickness than I am looking for but I can trun it down ont he lathe and it will still be much better than machining form solid bar stock.

Atlas is a sculpture materials supplier and apprently are the only place in the US where you can get this type of bronze tubing in the size range i need without having to buy 12' of it.

Thanks Paul for the lead.

Ray

Latest posts

Sponsors