Looking for diamond setter - Houston area

Goldjockey

Elite Cafe Member
Looking for a diamond setter Houston area, or elsewhere in the US to whom we can outsource setting jobs, for single melee gypsy set stones - up to 3mm, in our hand fabricated wedding bands. A big plus if you can supply good commercial quality stones at a reasonable price along with setting services.

Please contact Mike Rogers, M. M. Rogers Design at (505) 263-8822 for details.

Suggestions, recommendations from forum members welcome!

pblack

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I was just going to suggest contacting Gabriel Owen. He should know someone in the area as Sinterklaas suggested.

Goldjockey

Elite Cafe Member
As a jeweler and diamond-setter I must say Gypsy is one of the easiest settings to learn and do.

Is there a reason you are not doing them?

Maybe you can ask Owen at https://www.jewelryinstitute.org/ surely he can help you find someone.
My design and bench work for the last 30 years has been primarily hand fabricated mixed precious metals jewelry. I stopped designing for stone settings, and went to metals only around 1990, because for my market at that time in high end American Southwestern, and Native American jewelry, the supply of suitable natural high end semi precious material was very unreliable, and I couldn’t build a business on spotty supply.

This is a special order for a very good wholesale customer who’s retail client has commissioned a pair of my normally silver and gold rings in platinum and sterling, with the possibility of future orders for multiples of my 14k and sterling rings set with diamonds. In addition to my jewelry trade, I’ve got a custom firearms business that keeps me pretty darned busy. I’d rather send out the setting work, something others specialize in, than attempt to take it on myself at the expense of things that I do, that others don’t. Make sense?

Thank you for the suggestion. One of the first calls I made was to Gabriel Owen, who is currently not returning calls or responding to text messages. He was very positive when we talked, so the lack of response of any kind is concerning to say the least.

Update: Heard from Gabriel today. He’s been out of pocket due to an emergency, but was kind enough to provide a referral to a setter he recommends.

Last edited:

Sinterklaas

Elite Cafe Member
Yes it makes a lot of sense! Smart move. We can only do some much with the time we have.

Maybe you can also ask Blaine Lewis from New Approach School. Maybe he has some ex-students who can do the work.