Question: Looking for instruction

Looking for a teacher in the Orange County, CA or LA area. Want to learn some basics to enhance some of
my silver jewelry. Hoping to find someone who has affordable prices so I don't have to morgage my house.
Please contact me at: kdroste@sbcglobal.net or 714-563-4754.

Christian DeCamillis

Elite Cafe Member
1941 This is an interesting subject. What would you consider a reasonable amount? I ask because I think it would make an interesting thread. Reasonable to one may be expensive to another. Consider this though. If a person tries on his or her own, it will take a considerable length of time to learn. How much is your time worth? If you study with someone you will learn at a much faster rate and not spend endless hours doing something wrong or wasting your time on exersizes that may not be best suited for your needs. If a young person today was willing to take the funds they would otherwise spend at a college, and use it instesd to pay a master engraver to teach them over a period of time say a couple years, they would probably spend less overall. At the end they would have a set of skills that would instantly start producing an income. If I had such a student ,I would make it a requirement that they take some basic art classes at our local community college. I would also require that they take some business classes and some marketing classes. I think that if this is a career that someone would like to pursue ,this would be the way to go. 1941 I realize that this is probably not what you were asking, but it got me thinking of this subject and I thought it would be a good opportunity to start a dialoge. I am interested though what people feel would be reasonable? PLEASE if people do write down amounts THOSE WHO DO TEACH DO NOT GET ANGRY, INSULT , OR DEGRADE ANYONE IN THIS THREAD!!!! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I think the data collected could be of value to all. Thats if this thread has interst to anyone else, and continues Thanks Chris

jlseymour

Elite Cafe Member
Reasonable??? Well said Chris... The classes are not always the most expenses just getting there and the expense while there is usually as much or more than the cost of the class...
Living in Florida most instructions or some distance away and require a day travel by air or days driving plus the hotel, food and car rental plus misc expense
(New Tools yea), go figger...
With more engravers starting schools around the country and overseas distance to travel will become less...
My thoughts
Jerry

Ken Hurst

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Chris ----- I have taught a few students in my time. My charges were the same per hour as I charge for engraving. I couldn't think anyone would charge less. Of course, if a newby wants to learn from a Very good engraver, he should expect to pay more for the time of a really talented engraver ---- you for example.

Cody

Elite Cafe Member
A few thoughts from the peanut gallery. Regarding whether or not to pay for classes. Consider this, going the 'self taught' route means that you will be learning from someone that doesn't know what they're doing. It's like hireing some bum off the street that has never held a graver to teach you because they will do it for free. Like Chris said, you have to figure what your time is worth. Regarding the value of time, consider this, money is the most renewable resourse there is. Spend a dollar, you can always get another one. Spend a minute and it's gone forever. With that in mind would you rather spend time saving money or spend money saving time?. If you're serious about engraveing, I think you've made a wise choice to seek actual training and this is a great place to seek it. The best teachers will likely cost more per day but will likely take fewer days to accomplish the same result so there is more to consider than the day rate IMO.

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I think you've hit on a very interesting topic Chris. Sorry if this is hijacking your thread 1941 but this is very relevant to your question.

In the old days, an apprentice engraver was probably up to speed in about 2 years or so. This is commercial, production stuff I'm talking about here, not any of the artistic stuff we have today. The next few years were spent engraving bits and pieces for the Gaffer (Master) from which he earned money. The apprentice thereby earned a small wage and payed for his education to the Master. So to summarise; 2 years learning and 3 years earning.

That's not to say the apprentice stopped learning once he got to year 3. Every engraver knows there is a lifetime of knowledge to be gleaned and worked with; we never stop learning.

In the old days engraving was popular and sought after in everyday life be it crests on a canteen of cuttlery to trade cards (the business card of the day). Today the pool of clients is much smaller and these people are much more discerning generally, especially if they don't have a lot of money to splash out with. So, the old cliche still comes around about us needing to educate the public and show them the value in our skill. When there is more demand for engraving than engravers to fulfill the requirement, this will be the time to bring on apprentices. In my view, until then the only way is going to be the self taught route or by taking classes. But even so this will never be able to take the place of sitting at the hand of a Master.

I think your idea, Chris, of being paid the same way as a student would pay for his/her university fees to teach a youngster is excellent. But I seriously question if there are many young people willing to sacrifice and who have the passion to give 5 years of their lives to a low wage even if it means a good living at the end of it. Everyone seems to want instant gratification now days. Now if they were to pay their tuition fees for 3 years and then they are out on their own (as a student would be after graduating) I could see that as a possibility.

Only problem is, most folks who want to learn engraving are getting on for their middle and latter years it seems. How many of them could afford to take the time and pay the money do you think?

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Boy....this is getting good. What a wonderful subject.
Lots of good points being offered.
Can't wait to see the conclusions that are reached.
Thank you for kicking this up a notch, Chris.
You sure have paid the price by traveling overseas to add to your already existing artistic skill and have worked hard to become a renowned engraver and teacher.

And Ken, you have been the instructor and mentor to so many fine engravers.

Cody, some of your thoughts are classic and so true. Good stuff.

Marcus, some great ideas from you too.
You may have had a running start with a great Master,your Dad Ken close.
But I know he made you work hard and pay the price and now it shows in your skill and artistry.

Best of luck on your engraving journey 1941.
John B.

qndrgnsdd

Elite Cafe Member
I used to teach a basic engraving class at Bellingham Technical college. The class cost the student about$250 had to have at least 5 students I got about $1000.(30 hour class...3 hrs one a week for 10 weeks) I am self taught for the simple reason that I could not find anyone to teach me. This was pre internet days! It took me 10 years of mostly error to get to where I could cut a bracelet that I thought was worth trying to sell. I'm still learning of course and I think that if anyone is serious about learning engraving and is self motivated enough to BE an engraver, you are already in the right place. If you go through the tips archive and read the posts in this forum you will learn more in a month for free than I was able to find out in 10 years of reading and experimenting. I mean just knowing the names of the equipment, and the terminology is worth years of research in librarys' art sections. I no longer teach the class because I cannot afford to take the time, even though I love teaching. So 1941 dig into this site and thank Sam Alfano for everything you learn!................Owen
www.walkergoldsmiths.com

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Most Reasonably Priced Class I've Found on Engraving

Montgomery Community College Gunsmithing CoursesMontgomery Community College Wayne Bernauer, Coordinator Troy, NC 27371 ... Metal Engraving Scroll and Scroll Design
www.montgomery.cc.nc.us/admissionapp.doc

August

Beginning Intermediate Metal Engraving
This two-week course will focus on drawing and cutting basic and intermediate designs for engraving metal. The course will be self paced depending on the Students' needs. During the second week students will be drawing and cutting designs on their own projects. Aug 3-14 $60 + $50 supply fee Jess Houser

Last edited:

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Printmaking Class-Intaglio

Also, if you can find a local college that teaches woodcut or intaglio printmaking you can learn some of the basics of engraving.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
chris decamillis should become a spokesman for all schools of engraving, public & private. i've been guilty of lifelong, self-taught bad habits. they show in my work. i'm now realizing, what might my work be like now if i had spent a few bucks 20 or so years ago ? i regret never having done this !

Sponsors