Lords Prayer on a pinhead

Andrew Biggs

Whenever I see this one I must admit to being skeptical. Sort of like seeing the Madonna in the woodgrain or statues weeping blood.................something about it just dosn't ring true with me. Apart from the fact it would be physically impossible in the conditions he was in. I find it interesting that these "miracle" type things are always tied up with some sort of religious significance. In this case the Lords prayer.

I think Pedersoli and Fracassi that are masters of the dot technique would even struggle with this one.:)

Cheers
Andrew

Last edited:

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
:) Ah ye of little faith. You would be surprised what a "Con" can accomplish while locked up. That inclueds magnification. :p

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Alright then, here's the challenge..... Let's see how 'we of little faith' with all our microscope assisted vision can do. The challenge is How "Many Words Of The Lord's Prayer Can You Fit On A Pin Head!?!?!?" According to Sandy and TC, Cons and Ex-Cons should have a significant advantage:D The only questions are; are all pin head sizes the same and are modern pin heads harder than antique ones?

Mind you, whilst in Spain a few years ago, I did see an exhibition of micro-sculpture which was amazing. Apparently the guy had to learn to sculpt between breaths!

Last edited:

Billzach

Elite Cafe Member
Marcus
This will be a very interesting project for us, I,ve saw the pin head with the Lord,s prayer before and had thoughts of trying it myself but never have..First thing I quess we,ve to do is design a tool small enough for the letters to be cut..

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Miniature tools. Scroll down to an interesting engraver's ball made out of wood.

http://minitool.blogspot.com

http://www.tdiinternational.com/usr/handtools/micro-mini-tools/tech-set.html

includes a micro-graver .8mm diameter

Individual Tool Properties:
Straight Micro-Prober - 45 Degrees, Sharp, 3mm Angled Tip, 8mm Diameter
Micro-Prober - 90 Degree, Sharp, 3mm Angled Tip .8mm Diameter
Micro-Chisel - 20 Degree Edge, .8mm Diameter
Micro-Knife - 20 Degree, .8mm Diameter
Micro-Graver - 30 Degree Oval, .8mm Diameter
Micro-Diamond Scribe - Cone 5.0mm, Natural Diamond, 3.2mm Diameter
Micro-Ruler - Metric Scale, .1mm Gradation

Last edited:

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
I must admit that my first post on this subject was a little tunge in cheek. However then I remembered that someone that I hold in great respect did a pin head engraving also. (http://www.masterengraver.com/misc/index.shtml). It wasn't the lords prayer but it sure is great.

"Pin Heads" this in its self is rather funny; bunch of guys talking about "Pin Heads". I guess this is a pinhead kind of discourse.

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
From one pinhead to another

Can't seem to find the pinhead your referring to. Hopefully it's not me.

Last edited:

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
See Attachment of Wooden Engravers Ball

See Attachment of Wooden Engravers Ball

Engraver's Ball
Sometimes I relax my bias regarding materials of construction (i.e. brass, ebony, cocobolo and ivory) and select a tool simply based upon the artistry of the designer. The engraver's ball was such a project. The nicely shaped body first caught my eye and I found that the smooth rounded curve had a nice, almost sensual feel in my hand. The complexity of the jaw system provided the technical challenge needed to hold my interest.

In use, the steel post at the bottom of the ball is inserted into a hole in the engravers bench and the object to be engraved is locked into the jaws. The ball can then be easily rotated 360 degrees so the jeweler can approach the design from any side.

The knurled knob is attached to a threaded shaft which runs through the base of the jaws. Each end of the shaft has opposing threads so both jaws move toward the center as the knurled knob is turned in one direction. One jaw also swivels on a pin as it moves on the threaded shaft so odd-shaped objects can be securely clamped in place.

I took some license and made the miniature ball in cocobolo rather than pine, as the original. The brass jaw pieces were lightly sand blasted to provide a "cast" look. The miniature is 1.9" high, not including the post.
Posted by John Maki at 2:52 PM 0 comments Links to this post
Monday, March 31, 2008

Attachments

• blogphoto17.jpg
    blogphoto17.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:

gtsport

Elite Cafe Member
on the head of a pin

Below is a link to an article about the LORD's prayer on the head of a pin as done by a Gorton pantograph. Reading the article it makes it a little difficult to believe that it could be done by hand, especially considering Schilling's pin head was half the size of the one Gorton used. There doesn't seem to be a way to verify that the Schilling picture is actually the head of a pin, but if it is, it must be from a source other than Gorton as the letter positions don't match. Any thoughts?

Joe Paonessa

http://gorton-machine.org:8080/links/index.html

I just reread the article and it seems I was off a bit. Schilling's pin HEAD was .048" and Gorton's pin POINTS were .0085" and .005", 1 tenth the size of the Schilling piece. Still, pretty darned small.

Last edited:

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
What a great article Joe, thanks for sharing it! The one thing that caught my eye was when it explained how the cutter had to be trued on a boxwood wheel charged with pumice.....amazing! I don't think our standard laps will work.

Re Sam's pinhead engravings, they're great aren't they? But it's not 300 letters on a pin head. :rolleyes:

Sponsors