Announcement: Lynton McKenzie instructional videos now available

Fred Bowen

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for bringing these back Sam.

JJ- The vise Lyton used here was sort of a prototype version of the GRS positioning vise . I recall that he was also working on round plate that could be moved around on a base plate which gave a greater positioning capability than the XY axis vise used here. Sam may have more info, since he worked with him.

I took the engraving course with Lynton through the NMLRA in 1989 in Kentucky and besides his excellent engraving and teaching skills he had endless hours of stories and anecdotes to tell outside of class. Quite a character.

Reactions: Sam

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
The vise in the video is a Mittermeir gunsmith vise mounted on dovetail slides for X Y positioning and centering under the scope. When he came to my home a few months before his death he showed me plans for a turntable arrangement he was working on and offered to build me one. He became quite ill and never built it and died shortly thereafter. A sad ending for a brilliant engraver and craftsmen, but he sure left his mark with those of us from that era.

A lot of newcomers never heard of him. If you’re not on instagram these days you don’t exist. I couldn’t bear the thought of his instructional videos disappearing. Hopefully he’ll be rediscovered by the new generation of engravers.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
"If you’re not on instagram these days you don’t exist. "

I remember telling a fellow engraver, years ago, "if you aren't on the Internet you don't exist." Later I told him "if you don't have a website, you don't exist." Later, "if you aren't on Facebook you don't exist." I'm not on Instagram and don't even understand what it is so I guess, I don't exist.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I regret not taking a class with Lyton when he taught at the Montgomery Community College,missed opportunity. J.J.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Instagram is a photo uploading site where you can post comments. Not like a forum, but maybe a super light version. I've talked to jewelers who get 100% of their work via Instagram. I know it performs really well for me. When you're here in the Cafe you're amongst engravers. On Instagram you're in the mix with millions of other artists, collectors, and everyone else in between, who can easily see and follow your work. The exposure to the masses is unlike anything we've ever seen.

Latest posts

Sponsors