Magnetic Leather Vice Jaw Pads

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I decided to make myself a new set of leather vice jaw pads. This time, I made them magnetic so they will stick to the vice jaws and stay where I put them.

Every year when the various telephone books are delivered there's one that comes with a magnetic strip. I never use phone books anymore so I stick the magnetic strip on the side of my gun safe (figuring I'll find a use for them some day) and toss out the book.

I found a good use for the strips today! :banana:

Anyway... this might be an idea someone else would want to try.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
A good one for the Tips Archive, Neal. Thanks :)

I have a set that Rio Grande was selling a few years back. It's a piece of folded aluminum with leather on the outside and a magnet on the inside. What you've done is better, though. Thanks for the tip!

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
My set is based on Mike Dubber's - two short pieces of alumininum 'angle iron' with leather on the outside of one piece and a bit of magnet strip on the inside of the other. Drop 'em on and you've got padded jaws.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
i made a very similar set years ago, but don't use them unless it's an odd situation where i need to keep repositioning something and need to keep the pads in place. otherwise i tend to avoid using any magnets around my vise because they attract chips.

tolesh

Great idea Doc thanks! You might try making one using cork sheet instead of leather. Work seems to stick better to the cork. I get my cork in the form of tiles from hobby lobby.

Latest posts

Sponsors