Question: Magnification

KinG-JaKe

The way I'm working is hurting my back. I need to figure out how to see what I'm doing and be further away from the piece than I currently am.

I have a #5 Optivisor, and I like the amount of magnification. I just need to see things that way with the piece further away from me. How do I do this?

I'm doing motorcycle parts mostly, and have already raised my vise, but that just creates shoulder strain instead of back strain. I've also have done a little standing up, which helps with straightening my back but is not preferable.

Any help/ideas would be great!

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
if you don't mind investing some fairly serious $$$, you could buy/build a big microscope stand with a long reach and get a microscope with a .32x objective lens (.5x is more common in the trade). that combination would give you a huge working distance (12"+) and field for engraving large objects.

RT Bit and Spur

Elite Cafe Member
For many years I engraved looking at a TV screen with a camera above my shoulder. It was great if I had known about HD cameras and TV sets I would still be doing it today. I could sit any way I wanted to and change when I wanted to. I could make a 3/4 inch disk fill the screen.
Rod

KinG-JaKe

Thanks everyone I'll try the #3 optivisor for now. Also interested in surgical/dental loupes. Anyone know a place near St. Louis I can try 'em before I buy 'em?

KinG-JaKe

Reply to Donny's post:
Yea, I have tried being awesome at it, and I'm still working on it. Haven't tried w/ hammers, just my gravermach. He makes it look easy, I'll have to give it a go in the future.

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I engrave mostly bracelets, and smaller objects, for which I don't really need the turntable to centre, so I use the optivisor as well. I raise my work, so the ball is sitting on a shelf on my bench about chest level. (Just a little higher would be a bit more ergonomic). Then I lean the ball way over towards me, so I'm looking across at it.
It's a lot better than my previos set up.
And it will serve until I can find an ergo wedge, or tube for my Leica.

tim halloran

Elite Cafe Member
Jake: I bought ZEISS binocular loupes, they mount on eyeglass frames and are 4.5 power. The working distance is roughly 13.5 inches which allows you to sit upright, thus taking the strain off your back and neck. They are not cheap to buy, but I've had them for over twenty years. What is your back worth to you? If you buy good equipment it's an investment in your future and your ability to earn a living. Find a dealer in your area, or call them direct in New York and they will send them to you to try for 30 days, free! If you don't buy them just send them back. Also Gesswein Has cheap ones that are a couple hundred dollars.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I use some chairs and so probably do most of you, I can change the height. It is something I do all the time changing it depending what job I'm working on.

arnaud

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I've found standing over the work is a real back saver and also when cutting the back bone of the scrolls either with H&C or with power assist my scrolls come out well formed and with out any flat spots.Try standing, get up from that chair and move around.I use optivisor with 5 power len,hope this helps. J.J.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
JJ, nothing wrong with standing up, but in my opinion you still have to bend your neck. Here is a photo me sitting and look what a comfortable position.

arnaud

Latest posts

Sponsors