Make your own Pilot Wheel

kcrutche

Elite Cafe Member
I got the idea for this project first by using 1/4 x 1 3/4 x 3 inch poplar (soft wood) shims to protect the surfaces of my gun from the vice (a Remington 870 in the first photo).

After a while I added the top surface.

I do not use this as a hand rest as such, but I let my little finger rub across the top surface.

It helps to maintain the vertical angle of my Graver as I am cutting.

I put shims under the receiver which not only protect the surfaces but also returns the top surface to the same level each time you remove and replace the gun from the vice, to maintain Microscope focus.

After a while I noticed the magazine tube was sort of handy to grab hold of when turning the vice.

That is when I thought of the Pilot Wheel.

This first picture is the Original Hand Rest.

This second picture is the Pilot Wheel version holding a Remington 1100 with a fresh Transfer ready to cut.

I don't know if you can see but I shim so the top surface of the gun, is level with the top surface of the rest (so the angle of my graver does not change as I rotate my work).

One tube sticking out and hitting you in the side is not to bad but one from each end is to much (no more 1100's).

The next picture shows the leveling shims.

The next picture shows the bottom of one half.

I have included Plan drawings if you care to build one for yourself.

I did not include any dimensions since your vice is probably different.

If you have access to a band saw it is a simple (but very handy) project .

Kenneth Crutcher.

Last edited:

kcrutche

Elite Cafe Member
Pilot Wheel

Yes Steve

It all started as a set of Vice pads.

The progressed to a device that helps maintain the proper Graver cutting angle.

Now I also have something to grab, to assist with a smooth rotation.

Works for Me.

Ken

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ken, thanks for the time you spent to take pictures and post the details of your project. I moved a copy to the "Tips" section so the information won't be misplaced. :)

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ken, that looks pretty cool. However, I can see those knobs wacking me in the gut every time I spin it! The older I get, the more intrusion my "front porch" is making when I snuggle up to my microscope and turntable. (He, he, he)

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ha! Got one right! :big grin:

I have to say that these are the neatest - and most usefull - "vise pads" I've ever seen.

While you're correct in that they have to be made to match the vise I wonder if anybody is going to try making an injection-molded plastic version?

'Pilot wheel pads' could be a popular item.

Let us know if anyone gets in touch with you about it.

kcrutche

Elite Cafe Member
Pilot Wheel

Steve

You can build one of these for less than $20.00 and 1 hours time so I don't see a big commercial value.

I was going to ask your opinion of the pictures though.

I have about $3,000.00 in camera equipment and could never get a decent picture.

I took these with my new Droid X Cell Phone.

Tira

I am happy you like it enough to add to the tip's section.

It might be a good Idea to save the pictures though.

Pictures sometimes disappear from photobucket.

Fred

You are very welcome Sir.

Mark

I understand where you are coming from as I suffer from the same problem.

I contemplated placing the knobs vertical and under the edge but it really hasn't been a problem.

I was more concerned about the hose to my palm Control Graver but since my CO2 tanks are on my right, I bring the hose over my arm and then down to my hand and that has not been a problem.

The replies make the effort to make a tutorial worth while.

Thanks everyone.

Ken

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The pictures came out quite well - man, cell phone cameras sure have improved in just a few years, haven't they? The one in my Droid (original) is pretty good but obviously the Droid X is even better. Looks like they did a good job of getting it to work with regular (lack of) room light - and on the white balance.

The only real cost for production would be the costs of the molds. After that they could crank them out really cheap (depends on the volume). Question is if they could sell enough since I don't think folks would pay much more than $20 - $30 for the convenience of buying rather than building.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i checked on things and discovered this is a really great invention, backed up by excellent photography, and a really nice drawing. thanks for this !

kcrutche

Elite Cafe Member
Pilot Wheel

Thanks Monk

I am glad you like the Thread.

I am especially happy with the pictures (repeat of post for KCSteave).

I have about $3,000.00 in camera equipment and could never get a decent picture.

I took these with my new Droid X Cell Phone.

I think I could have adjusted the white Balance and probably even improved the pictures.

I have added the following picture (hard to take with one hand also did not realize hand was so hairy).

Notice my little finger lightly dragging across the Vice Pad top plate.

Once the receiver is in place you can remove and replace it and its still in focus start the graver lower the angle until your little finger touches and your good to go.

Ken Crutcher

Latest posts

Sponsors