Making a polymer plate template for preis panto

peteb

Elite Cafe Member
polyPlate1.JPG
This shows layout on computer screen. I use a simple program for the Mac called DoodleCad. polyPlate2.JPG
This is the black printout on transparency. My ratio will be 3:1. The black lines represent the grooves that the panto stylus will run so it depends on the line width on your layout how well this will track.
polyPlate3.JPG
Here I have cut a piece of the polymer plate that has a steel backing and applied the transparency over it secured by glass panes and paper clips.
polyPlate4.JPG
I have rigged up a ultraviolet light source and placed the plate setup under it for about 20 minutes. This hardens the plate except where the light is blocked by the black lines.
polyPlate5.JPG
Next the plate is washed out in warm running water with a stiff brush until all the still soft polymer is removed. I can harden it again under the light but direct sunlight for a day seems to work well. polyPlate6.JPG
The template is now ready to position on your machine and work your piece. This template is to mill out a piece of .050 silver for a pendant. Eventually the various circles will accept a .010 thick niobium insert. Any questions?

Roger B

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Peteb, I've not seen this method before - I had plans of printing the design out on paper and engraving the clear plastic sheet whilst held on top of the design.

What thickness sheet have you used 1.5mm or 3mm? When you talk about polymer is this the same as polycarbonate?

Thanks,
Roger

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
PETEB: that's a really cool way to generate a template. not counting the value of your time, about how much did this cost to produce ? if i did a similar template my way, the material cost would be about 3 bucks american. since i have a large Master circle, total time to produce it my way, maybe 20-30 minutes. i could also produce this on a cnc machine, but rarely use it to produce panto templates. takes far longer to do the layout for the cnc way. tyvm for showing this.

Martin Strolz

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Peteb,
this thread and my addition is a bit off topic in this forum. Nevertheless I want to show how I mill circular shapes. I made a device that guides the stylus in a circular path. The radius is adjustable from 0 to 5 inches or so. There is a scale and nonius for exact results.
Usually I set my Deckel G1L to a 2:1 reduction ratio, so I can use the diameter of the piece/cut-out that I want to make as radius on the stencil. The diameter of the miller can be added for making a piece or subtracted for cutting inside round pockets.
A technical design sketch may show and explain the construction and the videos show its use.
https://vimeo.com/243294494
https://vimeo.com/243294920

As example I add pictures of an instrument panel for an airplane that I made.

Have fun,
Martin

Attachments

• 3 Kreisschablone.jpg
    3 Kreisschablone.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 104
  • 4 Instrumentenpanel fertig gefräst.jpg
    4 Instrumentenpanel fertig gefräst.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 103
  • 5 Eloxiert und beschriftet.jpg
    5 Eloxiert und beschriftet.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 100
  • Sketch for Circular Milling Device.jpg
    Sketch for Circular Milling Device.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 102
  • 6 Instrumente montiert.jpg
    6 Instrumente montiert.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 102

peteb

Elite Cafe Member
Polymer plate is used on letterpress printing. I am using the JET 152SB plate which is a little thinner than the 175SB plate. Boxcar press has a lot more info. This plate which comes in the largest size of 16.5" x 23.375" is about $0.22 per sq inch and can be cut to size with heavy shears. It is not polycarbonate but is a soft plastic material that will harden under UV light, thus it must be kept in the dark until used. I will measure my plate and depth of the lines and post that later.

peteb

Elite Cafe Member
Here is a chart of polymer plates
Name Surface Hardness Relief Thickness Type
94 CHFB ? PDF smooth 75 Shore D 0.026â€￾ 0.037â€￾ plastic
KF 95 ? PDF matte 67 Shore D 0.027â€￾ 0.037â€￾ plastic
KF 152 ? PDF matte 65 Shore D 0.047â€￾ 0.060â€￾ plastic
Jet 94FL ? PDF matte 62 Shore D 0.027â€￾ 0.037â€￾ plastic
Jet 94SB ? PDF matte 75 Shore D 0.027â€￾ 0.037â€￾ steel
Jet 145HSB ? PDF smooth 85 Shore D 0.044â€￾ 0.057â€￾ steel
Jet 152SB ? PDF smooth 80 Shore D 0.05â€￾ 0.060â€￾ steel
175 HSB ? PDF smooth 95 Shore D 0.056â€￾ 0.069â€￾ steel

I find I can get by with the cheapest steel backed plate which is jet94SB. It is about $0.15 a square inch. As shown the grooves are .027 deep.

Latest posts

Sponsors