Malcolm Appleby Article

Crossbolt

Elite Cafe Member
I just came across a recent article on Malcolm Appleby. In case anyone is interested, I thought I'd post a link to it since it is in a location that might not come to the attention of those not looking for it. It's rather informative and well illustrated and focuses on his gun engraving history. I consider him to be an engraving genius given how he has taken gun engraving beyond the realm of traditional forms. Perhaps not everyone's cup of tea (or coffee) but he's certainly my prime inspiration.
cheers,
Jeremy

http://www.fieldsportsmagazine.com/Art-and-Artists/malcolm-appleby-mbe.html

Crossbolt

Elite Cafe Member
The bit that struck me most was his mention of adopting modern tools to increase his ability to produce more work. He had previously dismissed them in preference to pure hand tools. An interesting conversion.
Jeremy

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Interesting fellow and snappy dresser. I'll bet he'd be fun to hang out with.

speeedy6

Elite Cafe Member
That crocodile gun is shocking, in a good way. I say " WOW" so many times when I come to this site.
Thank you for posting the link.

Crossbolt

Elite Cafe Member
If I met him in person I'd probably be awful and pester him with a few questions. What I'd really like is to take a class from him up in Perthshire which I understand he occasionally runs, but it is very difficult (impossible?) to find out anything on line.
Jeremy

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
for sure, this gent could teach mere technique. not too sure he could teach the inspiration to do such as he has done.tyvm for posting this.

Crossbolt

Elite Cafe Member
I'd be inclined to agree. I am of the school that thinks it is much easier to teach an artist techniques than it is to teach a technician art. Not impossible but harder. Having said that, demonstration of a new way to create always makes it easier for successors I think. Various artistic styles, impressionism, etc. come to mind.
Jeremy