Mechanical watch rotor

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I purchased this rotor from a watch supply house in Antwerp, spent a few hours engraving it, only to find that it doesn't fit the watch!

Moral of the story: see if part fits BEFORE engraving it.

~Sam

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I don't know - doesn't this mean that now you have to buy a watch to fit the rotor?

Wouldn't want to waste that nice engraving job after all! ;)

Andrew Biggs

Hi Sam

Bummer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How small is this thing? Being in a watch I take it that it's tiny.

Also is that gold that you've inlayed at the top.

Beautiful engraving.

Cheers
Andrew

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Buy one? A real craftsman would make a watch to fit the rotor from old horse shoe nails, railroad spikes and scrap banjo parts (they're all scrap right?). Better get busy Sam:D :D :p

Couldn't resist...:rolleyes:

SharpGraver

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Sam
That is really beautiful, it looks too awsome to put inside a watch unless the back is clear. it would make a really interesting pendant for abigail.

David

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Nice job that sure would have looked nice on a watch. Was it machined wrong? Sam can you tell us the exact words that were said when you realized it didn't fit.

Bill Tokyo

If you're in Belgium

Hi Sam,

If you're in Belgium (Europe's best kept secret--wow, what a great country!) There's a Timezone
member there, SQL Guy, who probably has the watch movement, but no rotor!

That's the way it always seems to end up in watchmaking.

Bill

Sam

Staff member
Zernike: I gave the watch co. the correct model number of the 2836-2 movement. They sold me the wrong part. The correct rotor has bearings and this one doesn't. Had I been more experienced with watchmaking I probably would have noticed, but the two look almost identical.

Mike: If I told you the exact words I'd have to ban myself from the forum!

Andrew: The upper portion is brass. No inlay.
One big suprise was the lower part of the rotor where I signed my name. What appeared to be brass was actually a plated steel which might me the toughest stuff I've ever encountered. Miserable for engraving, and I'll never touch it again!

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well Sam I am real sorry for thegrief this little incident has no doubt caused in your life, and even sorrier that Abby had to expereince this with you. Being the stand up guy you are I know you would'n want to ask or burden any of your friends with asking someone to take this problem off your hands, but being the true friend and pillar of strength that I am, I will be glad to accept and make sure that you never have to see it or hear of it again.

Sam

Staff member
Thanks, Scott. I know you're always looking out for my best interest. I reckon I'll just build another watch with a movement that'll accept this silly rotor.

Tim: I'm holding you personally responsible. It's your fault I started this watchmaking hobby.

Andrew: Here's another shot that shows the size.

shonn

i like your small scroll work by the top that must take some really supper small fine engravers to do that!

Bill Tokyo

It might not be steel

If the rotor is indeed small, it may well be tungsten. It's often used in rotors because
it is heavier and denser than steel for its size.

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam,

It would make a really nice tie tack if it just can't be used for anything else!

I don't wear a tie but would start!

Just trying to help,

Weldon

Latest posts

Sponsors