Meiji microscope lens changes

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
I use a meiji microscope with a .5 objective lens. I recently purchased a .3 objective lens to use when I want a wider vision of the piece I'm working on. The magnification drops about 40%, but gives the wider range of vision. There are other lens available also. Were you microscope users aware of this?

William Grubb

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Glenn ,
I knew there were other lenses but I thought it was for magnification only I may have to invest in that lens. Do you have the eye pieces that are for glasses? I'm getting tired of removing my glasses all the time.If you do ,do you recommend them?

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
If you are refering to the rubber eye pieces that fit on the 10 power lens, then yes I do have those. I bought those on ebay for $3.50. I do leave those on my microscope all the time.

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Glenn,
How do you like the .3 objective. I was considering one for greater depth of field. Did you find it on EBAY also? The prices i've seen were $130 on the Meiji site.

Thanks,
Peter

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
Peter,
I hate to admit it,but I paid the $130.00. I see many things on ebay, but this was not one of them.
This gives a large over all view, but I still use the .5 most of the time. The .3 is kind of a luxury.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Don't forget that when you switch to a .3 objective and the working distance increases, either the vise has to be lowered or the scope has to be raised. This isn't a big deal for a tall guy like Glenn, but for for shorter people it can present quite a problem. Like many things, there's a tradeoff. / ~Sam

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
for shorter people I quite often recommend the .75 or even doing without the objective lens all together. It depends on what size scrolls you are doing as well. No objective lens in place means the feild of veiw is about the size of 50 cent piece and so your scrolls need to be smaller than that.

for me, the times I have used .3, it was like looking through a fog, becuase the visual accuity was greatly decreased and I found that very distracting, not to mention having to stretch my 6'0" frame to see through.

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I got a .50 with my scope when I purchased it to gain some field of view. To use it I need to gain several inches in my stature as it had me stretched out there like String Bean (Bill Monroe's first banjo player and my childhood hero).

I think from reading all this I'll order a .75 and that should even things out a bit.

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
omigosh, I'm upgraded to a cafe member now. Do I get to know the secret handshake and have my own de-coder ring now? How many more boxes of cereal do I have to eat be a full member..

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I don't use it Scott it just sits there if ever I need it. It couldn't hurt to give it a little buddy to keep it company should the situation arise.

I'm also waiting on the password to the secret lock on the secret door that leads to the secret room in the secret house that Sam built. (Jack's brother):rolleyes:

I got a pair of Ziess surgeons loupes the other day and I plan to use them for general scroll work that's too big for the scope. I just have to get used to them vision wise but I tried them for the first time last night cutting this thing and my posture is much better than with that ol' optivisor.

I have managed to screw it up so much though that I feel like taking a ball peen to it and starting over.

Last edited:

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
Tim,
If this engraving is screw up, I can hardly wait to screw up.

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for the input guys. I guess for now i'll stick with the .5 objective. If Scott has to stretch at 6'0" to use the .3 it probably would be a REAL stretch for me at 5'8".

Instead of an "L" bracket to mount my vise however, I used a pedestal grinder stand that I cut down to the right adjustment range. I like it much better than having the limited range of adjustment of an "L" bracket.

Peter

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
I have my microscope vise mounted on the table of drill press base with the scope post at the top of the column.
This way, for a person of any height I can either raise or lower the scope or crank the vise up or down.
It worked very well for students of any size.
For my own use, I can set the scope at a comfortable height and raise or lower the vise to bring the work into sharp focus.
I know that Ray Cover has an even simpler and less expensive way of doing this. But I will let him explain it.
Are you around, Ray?
Just another way of skinning the (poor) cat.
John B.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
John's set up is similar to mine except my scope is mounted on my bench and have the "post" of the drill press under my bench. It still allows a lot of adjustment for different uses and also allows you to engrave "tall" things like the butt of a knife by lowering the vise. John's set up sounds better than mine for more users. The other advantage is that it is somewhat portable.

Yves Halliburton

Elite Cafe Member
Drill press

I really would suggest the drill press post and table. It's a big advantage ergo wise. I purchased my from Grizzly. I purchased the entire drill press(stand up) as I found it is almost as expensive to buy the parts seperate. I also purchased the collar for the bench top base. Since I already have a drill press and didn't need another one, after I cut the column to my required length I used the remaining column and put the bench top flange on it and bolted it to the base. I just sold the entire motor housing with the shortened column and the base as a bench top model. It didn't have the table though but still ended up selling it for around $175.00. Which left me out of pocket of about $125.00. I like this model because the column is smaller and the table is only 11 3/8" dia, rotates and fits around your knees nicely and the lazy susan fits right on top perfectly. Here is the drill press I purchased and it is currently on sale from grizzly until the end of the year. The draw back is the freight. Hope this helps someone.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0491

Christian DeCamillis

Elite Cafe Member
If your going the drillpress route and I have, It is a lot cheaper to part it out from grizzly. One thing is not to buy the screws because they charge a lot more than you can get them from the hardware store. Another big savings is shipping which is 50.00 . I bought two sets of thse the last time and have three hundred into both including shipping and dont have a head base and other misc. to get rid of. Christian

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Chris, that's interesting. I priced out the parts less screws and it was within $30.00 of the whole thing. I put the head and base on Ebay and recovered more than 1/2 my cost. Also, I went with the radial drill press. It comes with an extra articulating arm for more movement. I think you could add this to the regular drill press as well. The link for this is:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/G7946

Latest posts

Sponsors