Members vs Guests - an observation

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Every now and then I check to see how many members vs guests are online. There always seems to be a LOT of guests checking out the forum and gleaning information.

And, as we know, there is an even smaller number of people who have found Sam's forum worth enough to them that they will send him a donation of only $25.00 per year (or more).

Just sayin'. :thinking: :eek:

Cafe.jpg Remoras.jpg

DanM

Elite Cafe Member
If you could see their IP#'s most of the "guest" are bots(Google,Bing,Yahoo,etc).

Omar Haltam

Elite Cafe Member
Doc
I am glad you reminded us of that. The information on this Forum is priceless to me and many others. I will definitely have to renew my membership , I guess we tend to forget that there are a lot of costs and time involved in keeping this Forum up and running.
I am very grateful to Sam and Tira and other administration staff who take time from there busy schedule to maintain the Forum and for that I tip my hat to them all.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Thanks for your support, Doc.

Yes, we always have a slew of bots indexing the Cafe which sure helps with searches when we're trying to find something.

~Sam

speeedy6

Elite Cafe Member
I have always gotten on this site, spent some time looking at new posts and maybe looking at some other things that were on my mind then left the site. I had seen the pledge member designation with the posters name and really never gave it much thought except to think it had to do with the number of posts. This forum is my classroom. I need it. I look at it several times a day. Without it I wouldn't have started. Thanks Doc for the heads up. I am now a pledge member. Perhaps its own heading at the top would get more memberships . I really never paid much attention to it. I'll try to leave my blinders off in the future.

Mike Frakes

So, if I interpret the meaning of your posted picture Doc. You are saying that everyone who views this site without paying is a worthless sucker?

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
So, if I interpret the meaning of your posted picture Doc. You are saying that everyone who views this site without paying is a worthless sucker?

I don't know if I'd go so far as to get into name calling but, it sorta reminded me of how the remoras will attach themselves to the shark waiting for a free meal. :)

Gargoyle

Official Cafe Stone Carver
at least in science fiction movies, most bots have metal bodies, so they are ripe for engraving.

Sgwiley

Banned
Just sayin. I agree that this forum is very worth supporting. However, a lot of beginners check it out and those beginners spend a lot of money on equipment and classes not knowing if any of it will pay off. This engraving stuff is hard. We admire and respect you. I have purchased two of Sam's videos and Shawn didyoung'shading book.

I hope that is considered appreciative. Don't forget that income.

ciscokid

In the for-what-it's-worth column, I browse the site one or two or more times a day from my school computer without logging-in. I do that simply because I like to see what people are posting and generally do not have much time. After I make a mental note I usually login from home when I have time to read the posts. I'm one of the guilty ones I guess.

Latest posts

Sponsors