Memorial Day

Cloudy

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
My brother has served in the Navy, Army National Guard (Iraq), and the Navy Reserves (Kuwait ) and loves to get the WWII vets in the VFW talking with their stories...
Certainly a time to remember and to be very thankful-

CJ Tate

Elite Cafe Member
We are located in a tourist area, the holidays run together as one big reason to visit the smokies, with no difference from one to the next except the weather. Its a shame.

I have been thinking a lot about Memorial Day this week and remembering my dad (my brother and husband also served). I went through Dad's old photos this week and showed them to one of our sons and his son. Pictures from Korea, Phillipines, Vietnam and all the places we were stationed. I am proud to be an Army brat, proud of my dad, brother and husband. And...

I am very thankful for all the service people who step up and answer the call to defend and sacrifice for us at home.

God bless you all this Memorial Day.

spank7357

Elite Cafe Member
vermilion, ohio (on lake erie) and Inverness, Fla.
Most of us have stories, some worse than others. 2/3 of us that served there are now dead. Three from my family that served there are dead, one of which was my younger brother and we served in that war at the same time. They both died in their fifties. I am the last one and I am 61. For us, the parades never came. In honor of these heroes I will ride Monday in a float in the parade for the second time. Now, the people clap and most STAND UP! This is now our parade and it's never too late to say "Thank you and welcome home". Yes, I wave. Yes, I smile. Yes, I cry but these are tears of pride and joy. Thanks for caring, as that is the reason I volunteered 43 years ago.
Best Regards, Dave "Spank" Spanski, U.S. Navy Seabees, Disabled Viet Nam veteran

Last edited:

Crazy Horse

Elite Cafe Member
For me this is not a holiday. I have never considered it a holiday. It is a day of solemn remembrance.
I recently read that of the 2.5 million men and women who served our nation in Vietnam there are but 900,000 left alive. Wars continue to take their toll long after the guns have stopped. "Grunts' carry their war forever. The redeeming factor is that freedom lives on.

God bless America.

Latest posts

Sponsors