Micromotor vs flex shaft

pmace

Elite Cafe Member
Thread starter #1
I want to add details to my champleve enamel work that I can’t get with saw and solder laminating. Engraving the outline gets the details I want but the background is way too deep. I have a cheap Dremel flex shaft that I use with some carbide burrs that works ok. I’ve never seen a micromotor but I imagine them to be a souped up Dremel tool. Which offers better control and which is less tiring to use under a scope? When the better half asks what I want for my birthday this year I want to be prepared with an answer.

Chujybear

Elite Cafe Member
diference will be torque (sorry if thats what the article i already saying, i couldnt open it)

flex shaft is better for drilling, higher torque, micro motor is more control, higher speeds.

pmace

Elite Cafe Member
Thread starter #6
I have a flex shaft Dremel. There is a slight oscillation that will brake my stone setting drills every time. It is not noticeable except under high magnification. Maybe it is just my Dremel but I would stay away.
The wife gave me the dremel flex shaft years ago and I thought I’d try it out just to see how a rotary tool works in this application. In my case it may have more to do with the quality of burs. The set I got from Rio Grande has maybe 3 or 4 flutes. I see some of the higher quality burs have like 8 or 10 flutes on the same size bur. That may help with control.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
the dremel has its place. the dreml tools fall short because there's too much slop in the shaft. the micromotors are much better. the one i have uses fg burs, and has a .125 chuck for the larger bits.

pmace

Elite Cafe Member
Thread starter #8
the dremel has its place. the dreml tools fall short because there's too much slop in the shaft. the micromotors are much better. the one i have uses fg burs, and has a .125 chuck for the larger bits.
Thanks Monk. For the work I’m doing I need a pretty good looking relieved area since you can see through the transparent enamel. The dremel and flex shaft work ok but I can see they won’t last very long. I think I’m better off with the micromotor since it has better control and I don’t need the torque of the flex shaft.

Latest posts

Sponsors