Microscope question

takedeadaim

I am relatively new to engraving but have some health issues that lead me to be looking at a set up with a microscope. I've had multiple spinal injuries and multiple surgeries in an attempt to "fix" the problems. Posture is important to my ability to work comfortably, hence the scope. Unfortunately I don't know a whole lot about them, other than experience with good optics and cheap optics and have grown to appreciate the benefit of good equipment.

I have recently acquired a nice used drill press from which I have made an adjustable height turntable by adding a thrust bearing under the round table's center pivot. My vise, while not a low profile also has a built in bearing pivot.

A company that I have purchased some equipment from in the past recently got about a dozen Meiji EMZ5 scopes with SWF 10x eyepieces and the florescent lights. None have objective lenses.

I do wear glasses and need them to see near and far. My questions are;

Is this a decent scope that will be good in the long run? Do these eyepieces work with glasses? I know i wold need the objective lens, which one would you suggest?

From what I see the drill press adjustable height set up works well for most people, is the low profile vise something I would need as well?

I so appreciate this forum and have gained much by reading but wanted to get these specific questions answered. Thanks in advance for your time.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
I have recently acquired a nice used drill press from which I have made an adjustable height turntable by adding a thrust bearing under the round table's center pivot. My vise, while not a low profile also has a built in bearing pivot.

A company that I have purchased some equipment from in the past recently got about a dozen Meiji EMZ5 scopes with SWF 10x eyepieces and the florescent lights. None have objective lenses.

I do wear glasses and need them to see near and far. My questions are;

Is this a decent scope that will be good in the long run? Do these eyepieces work with glasses? I know i wold need the objective lens, which one would you suggest?

From what I see the drill press adjustable height set up works well for most people, is the low profile vise something I would need as well?

I so appreciate this forum and have gained much by reading but wanted to get these specific questions answered. Thanks in advance for your time.
Using 10X lenses in a Meiji.
You can use a 0.5 objective lens for about 5-6 inches of space under the scope. Usually enough for most people using power assist or push.
A 0.3 objective lens will give you 9-10 inches and is better for hammer and chisel work but your scope will be high or your work very low.
I use this 0.3 objective and a fairly high stool because I mostly use H&C.
A low profile vise will help to keep the drill table higher with a 0.3 objective. Most people find either height vise will work just fine with a 0.5 objective.
See if an engraver in your area will let you visit for a look at their set-up.
Glass wearers can buy 10 power lenses ready for use with glasses from GRS.
Or you can try machining the existing ones and adding an O-ring.

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
ihad a low profile vise, as well as the grs centering vise. i can only say that for me, i decided against using them. to say that either will be right for you-- only you could determine that . if you buy the good equipment and decide you do not like it, the quality tools will always sell here in the buy and sell section.

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The Meiji EMZ5 is a perfect scope in my opinion. As fa ras a vise goes I would prefer a plain ball vise and wouldn't even care if it revolved or not as long as I has a rotating table. With the turn table and a vise you have maximum travel. I usually leave my vise locked and just turn the table.

Latest posts

Sponsors