Microscope

I'm trying to engrave under a microscope for the first time,to me it's like learning to walk again,man I feel I'm all over the place chasing the work.i center my turn table then but the vise on it and then for some reason I'm not centered again.Anybody know what I'm talking about

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
it takes a week or 2 getting used to a new way of doing things. in no time you'll be a veteran at the eyepieces without having to think or fuss.

oniemarc

Elite Cafe Member
Could be that your microscope is slightly "crooked". When it's not at a 90 degree angle of your work, it will look like your vise is out of centre. I think some prefer a slight angle though. But that was my problem trying to get things centered.

Marc

rweigel

Elite Cafe Member
France (north of Alsace, close to Germany)
I developed the following method for microscope centering on turntables:

I used a b/w laser printer for a 2D dot pattern with about 0.3mm spacing on white paper and glued this to a magnetic label for inkjet printers.

Place this on your work piece or on the ball vise‘s jaws. Center the vice roughly on the turntable, precision is not important here. Look at the dot pattern through the microscope. While rotating the turntable, the center of rotation becomes visible in the rotating dot pattern. Center the microscope to it. Microscope viewing angle is no longer crucial here.

The magnetic label backing keeps the paper in place on ferromagnetic materials. It‘s weigth helps it to stay in place on other materials. It‘s less than a mm thick, even if the microscope looks at the work under a certain angle, you could still center the scope on the rotating pattern and have your work centered as well…

Should have patented the idea, it is much easier and faster than centering pins etc.

Best regards,

Ralf

Webb

:::Pledge Member:::
Could be that your microscope is slightly "crooked". When it's not at a 90 degree angle of your work, it will look like your vise is out of centre. I think some prefer a slight angle though. But that was my problem trying to get things centered.

Marc
that should solve my issue. I’ll try it tomorrow.

ByrnBucks

:::Pledge Member:::
Good evening, I can’t recall the source of this method but Ockham’s razor for sure. If your have a practice plate in your vise draw a dot in the center of your current view, turn the vise 180 degrees around and draw a second dot. Draw a line in between the two dots and the center of that line is where you want to be focused. Move your turn table to that point and you should be pretty close. Good luck and hope you enjoy your new equipment. BB

Latest posts

Sponsors