Mini Pry Poison Dart Frog

Ron Jr.

Elite Cafe Member
My first mini pry. Decided to bulino engrave a poison dart frog on this one. Made the mini pry using un-tempered 1/8" 416 stainless steel bar-stock (I know not the best choice, but it's basically for "pretty" anyways). I am pleased that I managed to pull off a slight 3d effect with the artwork on this one. Hope you enjoy.

Attachments

• pry1-2.jpg
    pry1-2.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 275
  • pry1-3.jpg
    pry1-3.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 275
  • pry1-1.jpg
    pry1-1.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 275

Silberschweif

Elite Cafe Member
he he i have to think about the budweiser frogs when i see a bottleopener with frogs
great work
You knew Im new in the engraving things is bolino the same technik than scrimsaw ? it looks for me similar with the dots

don hicks

Elite Cafe Member
You definitely got the 3D effect, looks like he is ready to jump right off that opener. I have Sandra Brady's scrimshaw videos but haven't tried it yet, should be good practice for bulino , I think.
Cheers
Don

Ron Jr.

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for the kind words everyone:)

Spicer; I don't have very many fancy tools, rely mostly on my wits and a creative mind. I used a simple jig on a cheapo tool city combination belt/disc sander to get the profile. I hesitate to show how because it's not exactly the safest thing to do but most of us here are by definition pretty "handy" so I'll post it. If Sam or any of the moderators wants to pull this post I completely understand. You are sanding "into" the edge of the item your working on so if anyone tries this PLEASE BE VERY CAREFUL!!!! Go slow, use a broke in belt of 220 or finer (coarser grits CAN AND WILL grab the item your working on and that can be VERY SCARY) and keep firm downward pressure against the item your sanding. You just bend the aluminum strip to your desired angle clamp it to the table and start sanding, SLOWLY and PATIENTLY.

Siberschweif; Bulino and scrim are similar only in that they both use dots and lines/cuts to make pictures. Bulino is a lot more involved due to cut angles, light reflections etc. If your new do yourself a HUGE favor and take a class or two! Will be more than worth your time and money in the long run:)

Attachments

• sharp-jig1.jpg
    sharp-jig1.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 132
  • sharp-jig2.jpg
    sharp-jig2.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
Amazing work Ron, I am mesmerized by your shading skills, any chance you could go in depth about the layout/shading process how do you get such consistantly spaced dots etc?

Simone

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Amazing work Ron, I am mesmerized by your shading skills, any chance you could go in depth about the layout/shading process how do you get such consistantly spaced dots etc?

Simone
Do yourself a favor and look into Chris DeCamillus's Video Tutorial on bulino. Or even the Meeks Squirrel video offered by GRS. Both fine training on the technique. Put on you patience hat.
http://www.engraver.com/
Layne

Latest posts

Sponsors