Question: Missman Engraving Vise

Russ Sutton

I have acquired a Missman Engraving Vise which is a bit unusual in comparison to my two GRS vises. An internet search indicates there was a Missman Engraving School at one time. Also, I found the original patent information on the vise. It's about half as tall as a GRS low profile vise. It also has a ring of what appear to be steel ball bearings about 3/16" in diameter which the top rotates on. The ring is about 4 inches in diameter. Any one have any additional information?

Thanks
Russ Sutton

Attachments

• MissmanEngravingBlock.JPG
    MissmanEngravingBlock.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 271
  • Missman#2.JPG
    Missman#2.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 263
Last edited:

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have no information about your vise, but thanks for posting the pictures. It is always fascinating to see older tools and how they were made. :)

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have never seen or heard of your vise. Thanks for showing the pictures as I'm always interested in old engraving tools. Does the knob that operates the jaws detach or is it permanantly attached. If it is permanant it seems like it would interfere with rotation if the vise was tipped.

CRB

Russ Sutton

I'm sure it detaches, however, I have not been successful in removing it at this point. I have applied Kroil penetrating fluid several times and I'm letting it soak. Russ

Daniel Houwer

Elite Cafe Member
Wauw Russ,
Thats really a nice old vice!
Hope you find the historie on it and enjoy using it every now and then.

Daniel

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Seeing things like this makes me want to start collecting engraving blocks... Dang I sure have a lotta junk round here; at least that's what my wife calls my treasure.

Mack

Elite Cafe Member
Yea, I have collected a lot of old tools that I use. I am going to haunt flea markets and yard saled now looking for engraving stuff. Heck, you never know! I like that vise. It is nice to have something rare. Just think, it might even have belonged to a Master Engraver.

threefingerdave

Elite Cafe Member
Russ,
That is a really nice little vice
here is a link for rust removal
I have used this method for about 5 years and it works really good .
http://stovebolt.com/techtips/rust/electrolytic_derusting.htm
make sure to get the polarity right and the soda they talk about is
arm and hammer WASHING SODA.
I have cleaned crecent wrenches that would no longer operate it just penetrates the tight areas and gets the rust right out
hope this helps
Dave

Sponsors