Question: Mix and match

T.G.III

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Having spent so much time researching these forums I'm not sure if I've run across this before:

In lettering a plaque that has a date included, it is okay to mix and match letters and numerical digits on the same line? such as, Dec-9-2019

monk

Staff member
not sure what, "mix or match" means. on a simple plaque ( not many lines), i'd use no more than 2 fonts. on a single line, i'd never us 2 different fonts on that line. on a complex plaque, (many lines & maybe a logo) sometimes 3 different fonts can be effective. then, too, your client may want things a special way that violates all the "rules". if this is the case, one should satisy the client.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
look at it this way- would it look better if you engraved?:

"December - Nine - Two Thousand Nineteen"

i think you're pretty much gonna have to go with an alphanumeric mix. ;-)

tdelewis

Elite Cafe Member
I would think that mixing fonts would work but only if it is done with a correct mix. Some fronts would not look good together. Putting a heading in one font and the main body in another. I did an image search and couldn't find many examples. J. M. Bergling has some examples in his book but they are very elaborate and few. If it is a name and birthdate you could use one font for the name and another for the date. I think it would look fine.

T.G.III

:::Pledge Member:::
Thanks for the input, from what was said there are not many hard and fast rules, thanks again

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
And while you're at it, the correct way (Military) is Day, Month, Year, as 10-DEC-2019.
Just sayin.......

Year month day is how we do for biological field work. That way if you sort by date very tenth of every month of every year don’t get stacked together. I’m surprised the military hasn’t figured that one out ;)

Crazy Horse

Elite Cafe Member
The military doest deal in biologacal field work. The military deals in delivering death to it's enemy's, and it doesn't want there to be any problems with misidentified dates, thus Day, Month Year. (KISS) ;~)

Latest posts

Sponsors