Monarch handpiece

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Many thanks to all who endorsed the Monarch and the Gravermax upgrades. I received mine last Thursday and have been experimenting with them all weekend. I LOVE THEM! The handpiece is significantly more sensitive but with the addition of the progressive foot pedal and the new air valve, the combination is unbeatable! The tools potential far outstrip my meager abilities but they should allow me to progress more rapidly.

As an aside: I've been playing with my first "hobos" and have seen both Bill and Steve mention "glass beading" the surface. I have a small dental air-abbrasion unit which uses various grits. I believe that I could use glass beads in this but where do you buy the beads? Also, what size or "grit" beads do you use?

Second aside: I'm P.O.ed. I've been waiting 3 weeks for "credit authorization" to buy some 24kt gold wire and sheet from Hoover & Strong and was notified today that since I'm not "within the jewelry business" I can't have an account with them! They "will allow those engravers with established accounts" to continue to buy direct but everyone else not a professional jeweler will have to find another distributor. Thanks for making me wait to find out I have to go elsewhere to spend my money!

Anyway, I'm just thankful for this forum, it's helped us "newbies" advance faster than would be possible on our own.

Mark

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
Mark,
As a side note, I also upgraded as you have done. I wanted to have more hand pieces available without replumbing so I bought one more gravermax at a very good price. I plumbed this into the same valve and added another foot pedal. This has been a nice add on at a reasonable price. With all the gravermach up graders that are selling off their gravermaxes, additional opportunities open up.
This monarch hand piece is a jewel without a doubt!

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Mark: I've been buying from H&S for years, and never had a credit account with them. I just pay with a credit card and they ship very quickly. I guess if you want to have the account you describe then you must be in the jewelry business. This is not uncommon (Stuller has a similar arrangement for some of their items. This is done to protect their customers with retail shops). If you want to buy 24k gold, simply call H&S, tell 'em what you want, give them your card number and you're through.

If this has changed and they will not sell outright, then I'd like to know about it so I can stop recommending them to students. / ~Sam

Mike Bissell

Elite Cafe Member
Mark- I buy my 24k gold from Ray Viramontez. He handles both sheet and wire. Phone 229-432-9683 or email SGTVIRA @aol.com
Price will probably be the same as thats based on the current gold index, but less hoops to jump through.
Mike

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam,

Hoover & Strong would not let me use a credit card. That was my first choice since I use my card for everything to get Air Miles. They just told me to use their "credit application" found on their website and all would be well. Well, I had to send two credit references of dental suppliers that I've used for years, plus give them my personal bankers' name etc. and then they tell me that they won't do business with me! And this from fellow Virginians! Oh well, I'll just use Ray Viramontez.

Any suggestions about the glass beading question?

Mark

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I recently wanted to buy some low dome sterling bracelet material to engrave on from them. I called and they gave me the Patriot Act speel and said if I didn't give them a social security number I couldn't order from them. I of course refused the number since I've had my identity stolen once and it cost me a job!:mad:

Before she dropped the patriot act bombshell she said she'd charge me tax which I also had an aversion to since I'm out of state. She said they have a "representative" that lives in Atlanta but no store front or any way of ordering through him. This establishes a "business presence" in my state therefore, they can charge tax. I thought it was all lame so I opted out and bought my kazillion dollars worth from Rio Grande.

First off the patriot act was something she was misinformed about and the rules that apply to them as a dealer in precious metals and she was merely repeating what she was told in error. Secondly, I think that they want to keep track of folks that buy large (I'm talking $50,000 worth) quantities for possible money laundering purposes, or so I'm told. With all the headaches in life I don't need another to add to the list, and that's all I got to say bout that. Call Ray.

Billzach

Elite Cafe Member
Mark, i use aluminum oxide 180 mesh, catalog #854-1294 purchased from gesswein..i,ve used aluminum oxide from riogrande too, 240 mesh ,catalog #336-165..I,m sure others use different kinds..Years ago i used glass beads, but it didn,t do what i wanted it too do...i blast my coins in a bench top blaster and use my aluminum oxide over and over, i use the bottle blaster from riogrande..

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Doc,

Just call Viramontez up...there will be no hassel involved, and if you have any engraving questions Ray will be glad to answer them..he has helped me and many others over the years.

Yours truly,
JJ Roberts
School of Artistic Engraving
Manassas, VA

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks guys,

I've got some aluminum oxide particles at the office. I've used them before but I thought it made the surface too dull. This was on steel, not nickel. I'll check tomorrow when I get back to work and see what mesh the abrasive I have is rated. I was told that the reason some engravers use glass beads as opposed to abrasives, is that the glass beads, being smoother, "dent" the metal for effect, while oxides "cut" the metal surface for a more matte finish. I guess it all depends on the final effect desired.

Bill, do you use the aluminum oxide as a "final finish" after all the carving and smoothing is done, or do you use it selectively, as only on the background or only on the face etc.?

These Hobos' are becoming an obsession, I'm not practicing my scrollwork like a good schoolboy! There are just too many interesting, creative aspects to this engraving game that I can't stay in one disipline long enough to become even remotely proficient, without wanting to try another "new" type of engraving I've just read about! Well, I've got the advantage of being an amateur, I don't need to know all this, at once, to make a living. I can take my time and enjoy each new discovery at it unfolds.

Mark

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam
I had the same experience with H&S, dont think they want to mess with the little guy anymore. They recomended Rio Grande and Stuller I think. Will go to Ray V next time

dclevinger

Elite Cafe Member
I've been dealing with Ray for years and whole heartedly agree with Sam . He is a great guy. He's always been willing to answer questions and offer advice. I've ordered everything from over 10 feet of wire to less than 2 inches for a special project. I'm sure he would bo more than happy to help. David

Billzach

Elite Cafe Member
Mark, after the coin is completely finished, i use the aluminum oxide on the side i,ve carved, i then rub a mixture i come up with that contains, gun blue, contact cleaner from radio shack, chewing tobbaco, water and iodine that i put on with a q tip...I then rub just a very small amount of mothers mag wheel polish on carved side of coin to desired look..Don,t expect to get a good result the first time, but it works well for me, i,ve been doing this to my carved coins for almost ten years.. [[PS]] Although I,ve used this mixture about ten years i would caution you to ask someone if it,s safe to use and if mixing it is safe..There a story about the chewing tobbaco and hobo nickels , but i,ll tell it later..I,m sure other members have probably got a better way than my way, but this is how a old hillbilly does it..

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Allan,

Yes, there is a lighter spring for the Monarch. I bought one but haven't tried it yet. I've been so pleased with the standard spring that I forgot about the lighter one. The spring is about $5.00.

Mark

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Allan,
There is a lady bulino engraver up there at a gun store around deception pass somewhere. I can't remember her name or the name of the store but I think it's a family run type of thing. I wish I'd went up to meet her and see her work when I lived there. Stupid me thought I'd never be interested in it at the time; all I wanted to do was cut scrolls...

Latest posts

Sponsors