Monarch handpieces

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
A question for you guys using Monarch handpieces. What are the advantages of this smaller tool vs. the standard 901 handpiece? I know that Sam often uses it for his detail shading but is it that much more "sensitive" an instrument? I don't have the Gravermach, only the Gravermax, does this make a difference in delicate control? Basically, I'm trying to decide if it is worth adding to my collection of tools.

Mark

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Doc
I'm using the Magnum and Monarch handpiece when I engrave. While I can do some fine shading with the Magnum.I do prefer the monarch as it is a little more sensative and I can't over gun the power on the piece when trying to shade. There is a lighter spring available also for the maonarch which I have been too lazy to install. Prior to this I was using a 901 and an old Bulino handpiece for years. The Monarch is nice though.
Marty

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have a Gravermax and the 901 and Monarch handpieces. I find the Monarch allows more sensitivity and prefer it when doing fine thin lines as in shading.

Peter

hmw

Mark, there is a lighter spring also available for the 901, and you may have one. Mine came with my handpiece when I bought it. You can install it and adjust your gravermax, and you can get somewhat an idea of how the Monarch will perform

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
I upgraded my gravermax with a grs flow control valve and foot pedal. I use the monarch and it's a delight compared to the other hand pieces I have. If the monarch gets a little fouled because of the air supply, you can clean it so easily with a sheet of type or copy paper. This only takes a minute and the monarch is good as new. If you install the lighter spring shading is so nice. Definately two thumbs up on the monarch

Last edited:

Billzach

Elite Cafe Member
I used a 901 with my gravermax for a while, then went to the monarch and never used the 901 again..The 901 worked super, but after i started using the monarch it did everything i wanted a handpiece to do, i only carve coins and a few knife bolsters, so some of the others might give you a better answer..

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for the input guys!

It looks like the Monarch is a worthwhile investment.

HMW, I forgot about that lighter spring that came with the 941. I'm going to try that for a while, just for fun.

Glenn, how do you clean the Monarch with stiff paper?

Mark

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Glenn,

I forgot to ask, did you find the new air control valve and new foot pedal make a signifigant difference in the operation of the Gravermax? I have been torn about waiting to someday trade-up to the Gravermach or to do what you did and get the valve/foot pedal upgrade. Josh at GRS suggested the upgrade. I'm just doublful how easy it is going to be trying to sell my relativly new Gravermax (15 months old) with the Gravermach being so highly touted.

Mark

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mark
Go for the upgrade. There's a lot of mileage still to be had with your Gravermax. I noticed a big difference when I upgraded mine.

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
When I first got my Max it came with the big old heavy black handpiece (the one where the tube went in the back). I didn't really care for it but it was great for chequering bolt handles. I used it for a few weeks and contacted the supplier over here to try to explain the handpiece my father used. 'ohhh,' came the reply 'that sounds like a Monarch!' (turned out dad used a 901) 'Okay, I'll have one of them please,' says I (knowing absolutely nothing about what I or they were on about). A couple of days later (and 260 quid lighter in the pocket!) it arrived and I used it solidly for 5 years. I did everything with it from bulino to gold inlay to deep relief scroll and I can honestly say it's the most versatile handpiece I ever owned. I thought I'd killed it when it wouldn't stop leaking air but no, Shane from GRS was over here last summer and he brought over his tool kit and some spares and fixed it good as new. He was amazed that it was still working at all considering the abuse I'd given it (and I'm talking serious professional usage in an average 40-50 hour week 50 weeks a year). Most times now I use the 901 for everyday work. I use it with the lighter spring and its a great tool. The Magnum really shifts metal so if a tough bolt handle needs work this is the one; the strange thing is it can also work suprisingly finely but for me it's too heavy for everyday stuff (I'd end up with arms like Popeye!). I still like the Monarch though and for fine detailed stuff you just can't beat it. GRS do a lighter spring for it too but for me its great as it is.

If I could get GRS to do one thing to improve their handpieces it'd be to rubberize them with that soft grippy rubber like you get one cameras or phones - they put it on the QC graver handle so why not their handpeices? I hate cold metal tools in my hands first thing on a freezing cold morning ( I have to heat my vise with a hot air gun). It'd also save them getting all scratched up on the bench or when they crash to the floor!

cheers,
Marcus

Last edited:

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
Mark,
Disassemble the monarch (remove the piston). Take a piece of type or copy paper. Use it as though it were sand paper. Twist the piston inside the paper just like you were sanding the piston. Then you twist the paper into a cone wad insert it into the cylinder and twist as though you were trying to sand the inside surface of the cylinder. Make sure no residue or dust is on either part and reassemble the monarch.
The tolerances are so close on the piston/barrel fit that the paper does a great job of cleaning without changing the tolerances.
When my monarch is slow to start stroking as I depress the foot pedal I know it's time to clean the piston/barrel. Once it's clean the monarch is like new.
my 6 bits

P.S. Yes the new foot control and air control made a huge difference in my gravermax. With this modification the max is the very same as the mach except the mach can deliver higher strokes per minute. Now maybe some engravers might use this high stroke option, but I don't even use the maximum that my max produces. Hence, I don't see any reason to make a change. In fact I bought a second max at a very reduced price and hooked it into my system so I have more hand pieces available without replumbing.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors