Muffling sound made by engraving hammer??

highveldt

Elite Cafe Member
In the below video (see link) of engravers using traditional hammer and chisels, the hammer heads have what appears to be a rubber band around them. Is this to muffle the sound of the hammer?

silvermon

The rubber band is to deflect the chisel head on an errant hammer blow. When you do hammer and chisel engraving, you get quite used to the feel of the hammer. A big portion of how the hammer feels is the thickness of the wood next to the hammer head. If you miss, the chisel head can strike the hammer handle possibly cutting out a small piece of the handle. That will start to change the feeling of the hammer. It is difficult recutting a new handle to feel exactly as the last.

highveldt

Elite Cafe Member
Silvermon;
Thank you for explaining the rubber band for me. I saw in the video that the rubber band extended down below the hammer head onto the top of the handle, and wondered why if the rubber band was there for muffling why it was so loosely situated.
Steve

silvermon

Silvermon;
Thank you for explaining the rubber band for me. I saw in the video that the rubber band extended down below the hammer head onto the top of the handle, and wondered why if the rubber band was there for muffling why it was so loosely situated.
Steve
I used to do more hammer and chisel engraving for tool and die work. I used to wrap neoprene electric tape around the neck (narrowest part) of the handle, and replace it every several days. Once you get the hammer to feel the way you like, it is a good idea to protect it. If you do some hammer and chisel, you will find yourself having several hammers adjusted for specific type of work. For example, a heavy and stiff hammer for roughing out, lighter and springy for finishing.

highveldt

Elite Cafe Member
I understand the issue of getting the hammer feel correct and the spring of the wood of the hammer as 40 years ago I had a blacksmith shop and the importance of the spring of the hammer handle (not too thick, but not too thin) was paramount if I was going to use a hammer all day long--not to mention making the anvil quiet with steel bands holding it firmly to the wooden base. I lost a significant amount of my hearing by not making my anvils quiet early in my life as a blacksmith.

Thank you again for your explanation.

Steve

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
My family would have loved the muffing of the sound the hammer tapping when I was engraving all hours of the day and night my son said he can still hear the ringing in his ears. J.J.

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
My family would have loved the muffing of the sound the hammer tapping when I was engraving all hours of the day and night my son said he can still hear the ringing in his ears. J.J.
Yep, my wife has said many times she can still hear the tic-tic-tic of me hammering in the next room.

Latest posts

Sponsors