My 17th hobo nickel carving..."Working the Graveyard Shift"

DeChristo

A sort of Halloween coin..."Working the Graveyard Shift.

Attachments

• Graveyard Shift 3.jpg
    Graveyard Shift 3.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 353
  • Graveyard Shift 2.jpg
    Graveyard Shift 2.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 350
Last edited:

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
for the record, i am not a fan of hobo nickels or the macabre genre, but that is some pretty nice work, DeChristo. excellent composition & execution. well done.

don hicks

Elite Cafe Member
That is a beauty. A great example of how sculpting and perspective can accentuate depth. Love the moon behind the cloud and the rocks extending out onto the border, really sets the reaper back. Thanks for posting the side view, you don't often see that, it really shows how shallow the cutting is in comparison to how deep it looks. Nicely done.
Cheers
Don
ps: Good description in the thread header.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
excellent and beautiful work. this exceeds any and all standards for hobo nickels ! this piece brings to mind the very great work done by "billzach". he was a frequent flier on the forum some time ago. thanks for shoeing this great hobo.

DeChristo

Funny you should say that, Monk...I have long been a Billzach fan, and actually drove up to Gatlinburg 3 days ago specifically to meet Bill...no doubt his coinwork has had an influence on mine. Thanks for the kind words.

monk

Staff member
Funny you should say that, Monk...I have long been a Billzach fan, and actually drove up to Gatlinburg 3 days ago specifically to meet Bill...no doubt his coinwork has had an influence on mine. Thanks for the kind words.

well, whatever level of influence he bestowed upon you, it surely shows in that piece.

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Great composition, clever design and exemplary execution. I'm so glad to see such crisp details along with the lovely surface smoothness. This, to me anyway, is what a fine Hobo should look like. I can appreciate the more common "line drawing" engraving on basically a smooth, flat surface, but it's the true sculpting that really sets this work apart. A superior Hobo should look like it was "minted", and this ones does.

I really love the Tombstone Timeclock set for almost midnight!

Last edited:

matthew.townsley

Elite Cafe Member
Really nice design, but in particular, I like the way you have done the clouds! They seem be difficult in all sorts of mediums to do, and the way you have got a 'cloudy' character into the little area is great! Nice finish too, thanks for putting it up.

DeChristo

Thank you and the others for encouraging words...Mark, you know we met in Monteagle at Scott's last Engrave In...I was the guy with the black guitar...

Last edited:

mrthe

Superb work my friend! Love it!
By the way i have to disagree about a hobo nickel have to appere " Just Minted" like in all i like see time to time the "hand made mark" and recognice that is carved and not maked with a press, exist a lot of styles in hobo nickels and all are beatyfull i think coming from something that is a folk type art , perfection is cool, imperfection make them unique

monk

Staff member
Superb work my friend! Love it!
By the way i have to disagree about a hobo nickel have to appere " Just Minted" like in all i like see time to time the "hand made mark" and recognice that is carved and not maked with a press, exist a lot of styles in hobo nickels and all are beatyfull i think coming from something that is a folk type art , perfection is cool, imperfection make them unique
you're so right. all seem to have an appeal to me, whether a technically minted look,, or a "just done with a rusty nail" appearance.

Sponsors