Critique Request My first watch movement practice

Borzzza

Elite Cafe Member
My first practice on real watch movement, first time engraving brass and lots more of “first times” for me in this project)) it took me more than one week of work on the movement, brass with rhodium plating.

I was practicing those little swirls on bronze, it was not working at all, then switched straight to brass movement by advise of my teacher Sergej Manaenko - it worked!))
Design was freehand, drawing straight on the methal with a soft pensil and scribing it out lightly after. I will do it differently next time for sure, more “organized” and will try to keep better shape of scrolls. And maybe would make another border))))

7C1FDF35-8781-4DC2-8850-A826E0519A5E.jpeg 195631F8-3268-42DC-B0EE-0A1181FBF32A.jpeg 0A566D72-49CB-4075-96C4-62A5FF6E1E0D.jpeg

Stefan

Elite Cafe Member
Good job. And troublesome. 1. It is necessary to disassemble the mechanism. 2. Engraving so as not to damage the stones. 3 Flushing and purging the mechanism of chips. 4 assembly of the mechanism + lubrication + setting + setting of the dial + hands. + Installation in the case. You did everything perfectly!

Stefan

Elite Cafe Member
Are you a student of Manaenko? Did he give lessons in Baku?

Borzzza

Elite Cafe Member
Good job. And troublesome. 1. It is necessary to disassemble the mechanism. 2. Engraving so as not to damage the stones. 3 Flushing and purging the mechanism of chips. 4 assembly of the mechanism + lubrication + setting + setting of the dial + hands. + Installation in the case. You did everything perfectly!

Stefan, luckily my husband is a watchmaker, he did all the difficult part of the job))))
For me the biggest problem was how to fix those thin parts, as thermolock wouldn’t hold... I found a cheap chineese ball with sealing wax on top, I used it on a tirntable insted of a ball vise. I should buy some kind of pitch... A9AAE8E5-93B3-4E43-A321-C6CCD8052DCC.jpeg 8DBF6D5D-08CC-4A17-8188-08175AA37F7C.jpeg 298B674C-3AAA-4ED4-BC68-2AFC8F1BB3DD.jpeg 58F01FD9-DC5A-4DD4-8543-4CE26E30EF25.jpeg

Stefan

Elite Cafe Member
Did you do pneumatic shtihel? Or a simple shtihel? What angle? Red paste is hard to wash off. How did you clean the pasta? Good luck to you. Success!

Borzzza

Elite Cafe Member
Did you do pneumatic shtihel? Or a simple shtihel? What angle? Red paste is hard to wash off. How did you clean the pasta? Good luck to you. Success!

Stefan, I am working with GRS Gravermach, for this work I used carbide gravers 90 and 80 degrees, heels polished and hand shaped a bit rounded with rubber wheel, a bit like onglette.
I believe you can do same job with a flat graver)

The sealing wax is easily dissolved in acetone, you leave the part in it for a while. We used cleaning liquid f45 (watchmakers stuff).

Stefan

Elite Cafe Member
Stefan, I am working with GRS Gravermach, for this work I used carbide gravers 90 and 80 degrees, heels polished and hand shaped a bit rounded with rubber wheel, a bit like onglette.
I believe you can do same job with a flat graver)

The sealing wax is easily dissolved in acetone, you leave the part in it for a while. We used cleaning liquid f45 (watchmakers stuff).
I thought so thin and
Graceful items were engraved in hand. But now I see that this is also possible with a pneumatic shtihel. I also wash off the red paste with a solvent.

Sponsors